tostonero mk 2 project

Dan Noren

Staff member
with a bit of inspiration, and 8 extra boards of cherry, i decided to make the other kind of tostonero. i've set up cnc code to hollow out the dish, and engraving the words 'burro viejo' and 'tostonera' on the paddle part. i've laid out the design on the first board, which will serve as a template for the others, jointed one edge, and ripped them to width.

Attachments

• 001 tostonera mk2 laid out.jpg
    001 tostonera mk2 laid out.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 002 cherry boards for tostonera mk2.jpg
    002 cherry boards for tostonera mk2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 003 boards ripped to width.jpg
    003 boards ripped to width.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
thanks darren! i've got one that i've put to good use, just not after the last time... lol

now i have to cut all the parts, then wait until i can get at the cnc, so that i can do the finishing cuts.

now that i can get back at all of my tools (nephew moved his furniture), i went to town on the tostoneras. first i cut all of the handle and flap parts. then rough cut around the lines of the handle. then sanded to the lines. after that, i rounded over the edges of the handle, drilled the hole, and rounded over the edges (won't do that on the others, learned a lesson there). then i got a pic of both parts together. i may do the cnc routing part tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 010 both parts together.jpg
    010 both parts together.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 009 handle hole rounded over.jpg
    009 handle hole rounded over.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 008 handle hole cut.jpg
    008 handle hole cut.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 007 handle edges rounded over.jpg
    007 handle edges rounded over.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 006 handle sanded to line.jpg
    006 handle sanded to line.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 005 handle rough cut.jpg
    005 handle rough cut.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 004 flaps and handles cut.jpg
    004 flaps and handles cut.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 16
pulled the cnc out of its winter sleep today. set it up for cutting the dished out part with the 1/4" bit. it started out ok, but then it started some monkey business, trying to cut its way through the board, instead of only 1/4". oddly enough, i found that the collet nut was loose (thought it was tight, i know, famous last words). so i moved on to the engraving (much easier i hoped). it did the engraving ok, but it seemed to be light on the right hand side. could have been wrenched a tad when the other bit tried to get to china. i'll need to move the bottom text to the left a bit to center it a bit more.

Attachments

• 013 engraving test.jpg
    013 engraving test.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 012 pocketing results.jpg
    012 pocketing results.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 011 ready for pocketing.jpg
    011 ready for pocketing.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 12
worked on the handle parts today. got them all cut, and sanded to the lines. then drilled the hanger holes, and rounded over the edges of the handles.

Attachments

• 014 handle parts rough cut.jpg
    014 handle parts rough cut.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 015 handle parts sanded to line.jpg
    015 handle parts sanded to line.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 016 hanger holes drilled.jpg
    016 hanger holes drilled.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 017 handle edges rounded over.jpg
    017 handle edges rounded over.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 11
... i found that the collet nut was loose (thought it was tight, i know, famous last words). so i moved on to the engraving (much easier i hoped). it did the engraving ok, but it seemed to be light on the right hand side. ...

Something you need to check routinely is dust in the collet - needs to be blown out after each use. As a part of my routine, I run a quick flatten cut on my base board to be sure it's dead on with the bit before any etching carves.

back at it again today. got the issues settled, and went on to make the indents in all of the parts. fixed the small problem with the engraving (moved the text over a bit). then did all of the engraving. all that is left is the sanding, fitting out the hinges, and the final oiling.

Attachments

• 022 engraving sample.jpg
    022 engraving sample.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 021 all indents done.jpg
    021 all indents done.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 020 first good one from middle.jpg
    020 first good one from middle.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 019 result of test.jpg
    019 result of test.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 018 testing new setup.jpg
    018 testing new setup.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 11
finished them yesterday. got the sanding done, and put on the hinges. then gave them a good coat of mineral oil.

Attachments

• 023 all hinges installed.jpg
    023 all hinges installed.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 024 all oiled.jpg
    024 all oiled.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 025 finished closeup.jpg
    025 finished closeup.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 8