Share Your Garden

Got everything planted yesterday in my meager little garden. Most of the wood rails the previous owner used to build planting beds are in need of replacement, but I figure they'll get me through another year or two before completely falling apart. You can see some of the old drip irrigation lines left by the previous owner. I tried using them last year, and the system is old, leaky, and in need of complete replacement. So for this year, I'll go with a soaker hose for the rows and a moat for the tomatoes.

2016 Garden Beginning - 800.jpg

This year's garden is only using about 1/3 of the raised bed/terrace area I have available in our little orchard. This shot shows a bit more of the orchard.
2016 Orchard - 800.jpg

Rob, Although I can't use it here within the city limits, this is my varmint gun, a Ruger 10/22 that was mentioned upthread. As was mentioned, it's a great platform for customization. This started out as the basic carbine (a Christmas or birthday present when I was about 16). I upgraded the barrel, stock, and added a scope.
Ruger 10-22 Conversion - 08 800.jpg

Another fun varminter is the 10/22 Charger. Fun little "handgun". It's the same action as the rifle, just with a shorter barrel and a pistol grip. I'm planning to replace the 4x scope with a 1x red dot sight. With subsonic ammo it'd be a great anti-wabbit device.
Ruger Charger 22.jpg

I've read the same, but my FIL does have the .44 magnum version (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Henry-Big-Boy-Centerfire-Rifles/709883.uts), which is one sweet gun, great quality from the eye candy perspective. ;)

They make some great looking weapons. If I had the cash, this one would be on the short list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmXamQ8HKw

When I was a kid hanging out at grandpa's deer camp they had an old Winchester Model 62 .22 that I got to shoot. I loved that gun. A variation could be found at the shooting gallery at the Lewis County (NY) Fair that was held every year just a couple of blocks from my grandparents house in Lowville. I used to collect a red wagon load of soda bottles and haul them up to the little store on the corner for the 2 cent deposit so I could spend the money at the shooting gallery at the fair.

I just noticed that Henry makes a very nice looking pump action .22.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/pump-action-octagon-rifle/

Last edited:
Got everything planted yesterday in my meager little garden....

Vaughn, That's a great space. The change in elevation creates extra visual interest and the orchard is sweet. You can put that compost tumbler to work, keep working good stuff into the soil and over time you will have an oasis. Maybe find some kind of mulch to put around the plants to help hold in the moisture. I don't know what's available out there in the land of sand and rocks though. Paper from your shredder, old carpet? What do other folks around there use?

I've been eyeing the Ruger 10/22 also. I remember the thread where you customized yours and it came out great.

When I was a kid hanging out at grandpa's deer camp they had an old Winchester Model 62 .22 that I got to shoot. I loved that gun. A variation could be found at the shooting gallery at the Lewis County (NY) Fair that was held every year just a couple of blocks from my grandparents house in Lowville. I used to collect a red wagon load of soda bottles and haul them up to the little store on the corner for the 2 cent deposit so I could spend the money at the shooting gallery at the fair.

My grandfather used to have a winchester 62 as well. Rossi made a version of it for years as the Rossi 62 and a carbine version, 62 SAC. I picked up the SAC version a year ago from a co-worker. When I got it, it was only extracting about every 3rd round, so a little filing on the back of the extractor gave it a little more tooth and seems to work fine now, quite a straight shooter. He said he shot the heck out of it, never cleaned it, so had about 20 years of gunk inside.
2013-01-23%2B21.54.27.jpg

Dunno. Need to find a gun shop other than bass pro.

But...Brent....to understand my thoughts and choice ya gotta remember the cowboys...:) . Its a bucket list item to have and fire a lever action rifle that does not use caps. Lol
Hey you guys indoctrinated me when i was a tiny tot what can i say. Lol

Ok went and looked and yeah we can get ruger at Cabelas.

But this is what i am dreaming of

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3075/henry-22-wmr-golden-boy-lever-action-rifle

I'm tracking you now. Yep, That would be a nice addition to any collection!

They make some great looking weapons. If I had the cash, this one would be on the short list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmXamQ8HKw

now you talking Ted that Henry is to dream about. lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

... Maybe find some kind of mulch to put around the plants to help hold in the moisture. I don't know what's available out there in the land of sand and rocks though. Paper from your shredder, old carpet? What do other folks around there use?...

Yeppers, I'm planning to put down some mulch once the plants start emerging and things start to heat up here. I'll probably use grass clippings for the mulch. We've got a relatively small lawn, but it produces more than enough clippings to mulch the garden.

The native soil here is decomposed granite with a bit of silt -- no organics to speak of -- but the previous owner had amended the soil in the the garden beds and it was not too bad when I tilled it up for the tomatoes last year. I added a bit more amendment this year, and I do plan to put that composter to use. I cleaned it out last weekend. It had a bunch of bone dry and moldy paper plates, corn cobs, and straw in it. Now I need to get it going right. Between the two of us we don't generate a lot of compostable kitchen waste, but I think I'll preload it with commercial compost and see if I can keep something going. Unfortunately, LOML thinks the whole idea of making compost is gross and doesn't want to have anything to do with it. :rolleyes: (She also has no interest in the veggie garden...she spends her time on birds and decorative plants in the yard.)

I like the looks of that little Henry pump .22. I could find room in my safe for something like that. :thumb: I don't have any pump rifles...just shotguns.

No meat or bones in compost draws unwanted critters��. Vaughn leaves make good mulch. Need to stock pile in fall. When we lived in Albuquerque years ago I would mow the gutters to collect the leaves. That was in my younger years.
David

Dogs keep running off with the compost? :D
View attachment 96060

I'm not sure any of us here would live long enough for rib bones to decompose, lol. If I could grind them into bone meal first, then maybe yes. :D

Fruit tree leaves and the remains of bird-eaten fruit will definitely be on the list. (We've also got a lot of baby apples on the ground already due to overpopulation. I really need to thin the fruit on the trees.)

We've also got a lot of baby apples on the ground already due to overpopulation. I really need to thin the fruit on the trees.

We've been trying to thin the apples on a tree that is behind and way too close to the house.

Our yellow dog LOVES eating the little apples falling off the tree. They are not good for her and we are doing out best to keep them away but she is tenacious on those things.

Decided that raised beds would help keep critters at bay and organize the garden a bit so I started them a few months ago. Here are a few progress pics thru to today when we had our first frost warning and they got covered with greenhouse film.
IMG_3332.jpgIMG_3401.jpgIMG_3402.jpgIMG_3369.jpgIMG_3404.jpg

Broccoli and collards, beets (primarily for greens), lacinata and curly leafed kale Swiss chard and various lettuce. All wrapped up for the freeze.
IMG_3423.jpgIMG_3425.jpgIMG_3424.jpgIMG_3428.jpgIMG_3429.jpg