Stopped by HF tonight

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
And a blast cabinet followed me home...
2016-05-25 15.32.35.jpg

Lots of parts and lots of screws/nuts...
2016-05-25 15.34.04.jpg

This is about 1/4th of the assembly done.
2016-05-25 20.46.35.jpg2016-05-25 20.58.37.jpg

While doing some googling on mods and improvements for this cabinet, I came across this video of someones review of using the dust deputy with it. I'll probably do a cart similar to his, but I liked his idea of cutting off another bucket for holding the bucket used for the dust deputy towards the end of the review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq2RST1ye8k

Anyway, I've been wanting one for a while and could use one for some restoration of some hardware I have, I'm sure it will help with old tool restoration as well. I also picked up 40 lbs of the 80 grit glass beads, but plan to order some #13 glass beads for my hardware restoration.

Anyone else have one?

I bet it's fun to just watch the paint and rust disappear under the flow of the beads.

At one of my previous employers they did manufacturing and had one I could use. However, if you had anything with any paint left on it they wanted it chemical stripped first as they used it for doing the brand logo in a satin sheen on a glossy metal. If there was any paint in the media it would leave a slight color in the pits that the media created. Rust seemed to be ok, just no paints.

Darren,

If you have any difficulty with your bucket under the Dust Deputy collapsing, I have a couple of suggestions -

1. The buckets that come from Firehouse Subs are stronger and more reinforced than those available for purchase at the BORGS. These are used buckets, having been formerly used as dill pickle buckets, and Firehouse Subs sells them for $2 each with the lids and gaskets. The money collected gets donated to the local fire company. But getting the dill pickle smell out of them is nearly impossible. I found that leaving them open and out side facing the Sun for about a month does more to get rid of the smell than any solvent, soap, scrubbing that I've tried, but I use my Dust Deputy to collect sawdust using a whole house central vacuum unit with the exhaust going out side through the wall. If there is any pickle smell remaining, my neighbor hasn't complained yet.

2. If your vacuum is as strong as my central vacuum, you might still collapse one of these buckets. After mine did, I realized that the top 1/3 of these pickle buckets is ribbed on the outside, making the top area more resistant to collapsing. So I then stacked three of these buckets together. This makes the bucket wall three times thicker and the ribs are all the way to the bottom of the top most bucket. I haven't had any more problems with the bucket collapsing since doing this.

I have dumped the top bucket 4 times this past year, and the fabric filter in the central vacuum is still just as clean as it was before I began using it in my shop. Nothing that I can see has ever made it into the container on the central vacuum unit. There may be some micro fines getting past the Dust Deputy and the fabric filter, but if there is, they are exhausted outside, so they don't ever get back into my shop. The vacuum was free, from a neighbor's remodel complete with pipe, hose, and attachments, the Dust Deputy I bought used from a friend who was closing his commercial shop for $35. I had to buy electrical fittings, and some vacuum piping and fittings, so the whole installation cost me about $130. I have a vacuum inlet in my shop, one in the shop attic, and one outside, for vacuuming my cars and truck. I vacuum the shop floor and use it for collecting saw dust from my scroll saws, drill presses, sanders, router table, router jigs, etc.

The Unisaw, jointer, and planer aren't not connected to this vacuum. I let the jointer and Unisaw cabinets collect the sawdust from these tools and then shovel out the cabinets when needed. I always use my DeWalt 735 planer outside because of the space required, since my shop is small. I have the accessory hose and barrel cover that I connect to it and have a plastic 55 gallon barrel to collect the chips. If the chips are from non toxic wood they get used as mulch. The toxic wood goes to the landfill.

The Dust Deputy should make a great separator for your sand blast cabinet. Hopefully, it will work with the sand blasting media as well as mine has with sawdust. My only hope is that it doesn't wear out too quickly from the blasting media going through it.

Charley

Charley, I'm currently using a bucket that had my chlorine tabs for the pool in it, they are a very stout bucket (I forget the grade number), so not had issues with collapse.

I also use the large shop vac that has an exhaust side connection. I just ordered a wall vent that I plan to connect the output to for exhausting the vent outside after running through the dust deputy and the shop-vac. Might be overkill, but I don't like to take chances breathing with glass dust. :)

It should be interesting to see how the dust deputy holds up with taking the media in all the time, but it should be mostly dust. I'm planning to add a shroud over the vacuum intake so that the larger particles will hopefully settle out back into the cabinet before getting sucked to the vacuum.

FWIW, recently I have only seen 25% off coupons handed out at the store when a purchase over a certain amount is made. Its intended for a future purchase and has a relatively short expiration time. You might talk with the store people. YMMV. But that's the deal at my local store.

I've got the the one without the legs. I love it! one of the best purchases I've made form HF!

I have the one without legs also and really like it. There was a 25% coupon for mothers day. One day only. Might be one for fathers day too?

Good to know. Had to do any "mods" to them? And how do you do dust control on them?

I have one of the table mount versions too, have yet to get to use it. But plan to so your post was very appropriate for me. THANKS.
So just for this idiots sake, does one have to be extracting the media with the dust collector all the time? I thought (incorrectly it appears) that the media stayed in the blast cabinet and settled at the bottom?

May have to rethink my plans. I want to try out using a mask and sandblasting wood.

Well, and for keeping the dust out of your lungs. Remember your blowing air into the cabinet, its going to come out along with the dust.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Good to know. Had to do any "mods" to them? And how do you do dust control on them?
Mine only gets occasional use and I only have a small, low cfm compressor, so no mods so far for me. Maybe when I get that big compressor things will change. I use it for cleaning the bark off burl caps and etching/frosting designs onto turkey pot calls. I did pick up the clear plastic glass protector sheets and they seem to work well. For dust control my old shop vac goes on the exhaust port.

Mine only gets occasional use and I only have a small, low cfm compressor, so no mods so far for me. Maybe when I get that big compressor things will change. I use it for cleaning the bark off burl caps and etching/frosting designs onto turkey pot calls. I did pick up the clear plastic glass protector sheets and they seem to work well. For dust control my old shop vac goes on the exhaust port.

Just curious for anyone that has one, how much media are you putting in yours at a time? I've seen posts that folks dump the whole bucket in, others only use a few cups of media at a time. I'm leaning towards starting small and moving up from there since some items will need fresh media and for general cleanup I'll just reuse what I need to.