Rail and Stile Question

Ed Nelson

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway! When you guys are building large casework do you run the rails the full width and butt the stiles to them or do you run the stiles full height and butt the rails?

It occurred to me just now that there's an exception to this rule. Whenever there's a middle (or interior) style, I butt that into the rail. In other words, outside styles full length, inside styles butt into the rails.

I hope that make sence.:doh: ;)

It occurred to me just now that there's an exception to this rule. Whenever there's a middle (or interior) style, I butt that into the rail. In other words, outside styles full length, inside styles butt into the rails.

I hope that make sence.:doh: ;)

Not always... I often keep the Stiles the same length although I have done as you suggest, would depend on the project. For basic cabinets (kitchen, bath , shop, etc.) I uniformly set my stiles. For a cabinet with segments such as drawer/door combinations or mixture of several componants, then I may do as you discribe an butt a stile into a longer rail. Like I said, depends on the project design. I think the inside stiles is a personal preference and design option, but the outside stiles should reach top to bottom (demonstrates strength and stability, supporting the top, etc)