I do NOT like this AT ALL

Leo Voisine

We have been getting 99 degree weather.

I am trying to cut up a tree and work on my shed

I can only engage at about 20% efficiency on my 62 year old body which only runs at about 40% efficiency anyway.

I am perfectly at home in a sweatshirt or even my hoodie coat - but I have absolutely no use at all for this heat.

I would say something about you being a Yankee Wimp, but then you'd just invite me up for your next Sub-Zero party!!! :eek:

Actually, I'm glad we're finally stabilizing with temperatures in the 90s like it should be this time of year.

Well, Leo. Then I must say you would not like it down here. We haven't really gotten too hot yet. Though this past Wednesday when I did all that tractor mowing it was bouncing around in the low 90's with about 75% humidity. I cut trees all through the summer as well as other seasons. Even when it gets to be 105 or even hotter. But, I just start at daybreak and stop around 2pm or so. And drink lots of cool water with lemon juice in it. Not cold water as it can actually hurt you when your insides are roasting. The lemon juice revitalizes your electrolytes and your energy a whole lot better than any of them sports drinks. But, anyway you go about it, take care of yourself. I was taught in survival training that if you don't feel quite the urge to have to go pee, then you are not hydrated enough. Keep that in mind and you will fair better in the heat.

...I was taught in survival training that if you don't feel quite the urge to have to go pee, then you are not hydrated enough. Keep that in mind and you will fair better in the heat.

I probably had the same course, and have learned the same about the cool water and lemon juice.

Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! If you've ever suffered heat prostration, it ain't a fun or pretty thing!

Just 92° here today. Dew point id about 70°, though, so it's kinda nasty.

Worked outside digging and hauling all day in mid 80 temps. Drank four 28 ounce bottles of water and I'm still down six pounds. Last year at my daughters place in OK I mowed their two acre lawn with a small push type power mower in mid ninety temps, felt light headed so quit and took a cold shower, wife heard a thump and came in to find me passed out on the floor with the cold water running on me. Took me a day to get back up to snuff. Nothing to mess around with.

You are absolutely right on that, Ted. You can't play around with it. It can be disabling or even deadly. I may stink but I always wait at least an hour after coming in before I take a shower, and I usually do it lukewarm. Jim, I was survival trained in the Marines for desert, arctic, and jungle. Dehydration is a big issue for all three. Bill, you can get away with the Gatorade if you desire, but not the beer. If you are truly dehydrated, anything alcoholic will put you down.

... Bill, you can get away with the Gatorade if you desire, but not the beer. If you are truly dehydrated, anything alcoholic will put you down.

Yep. I understand. It's usually two Gatorade to one light beer during breaks, then a couple of Bud Lights during cool down before a shower.

Yesterday the humidity was in the mid 40's

I take plenty of cool down breaks and drink plenty of water

I just don't like it.

My favorite season is Fall. I like 50's and 60's, and tolerate 40's I don't mind the light snow that we get here.

I don't drink any alcohol at all, not even faux beer. Never really did like beer.

I like the lemon in the water idea. I will try that.

At the end of the day I took a nice cool luke warm shower and cooled off nicely, but I was beat.

And no, I don't really care for that Texas or any southern weather. I would never move to Florida. I do love living in New England.

Today at 8:00 it is already 75*

We aren't enjoy the warm, humid weather either. Our ground source water furnace died during the winter and our resources do not permit us to buy a replacement. So no a/c. Dreading the 90 weather soon to come.

Frank, that is bad. Wish I could help you. After the heart problems that's the last thing you need. Wish you the best of luck. Keep doing that Leo and you will be fine. That lemon juice in cool water works real well. I drink a lot of it when especially when the heat comes on. I don't drink anything alcoholic, either. I especially don't like taking these drugs to keep my back relaxed so the muscles will heal. I don't like anything that makes me feel weird except maybe eating too many tamales.

Frank, that is bad. Wish I could help you. After the heart problems that's the last thing you need. Wish you the best of luck. Keep doing that Leo and you will be fine. That lemon juice in cool water works real well. I drink a lot of it when especially when the heat comes on. I don't drink anything alcoholic, either. I especially don't like taking these drugs to keep my back relaxed so the muscles will heal. I don't like anything that makes me feel weird except maybe eating too many tamales.

Dave, Since you like tamales so well, you should plan a trip to Knoxville sometime for a Saturday at Market Square... there's a guy there that sells tamales... the masa is too thick, they're yuppy flavored, Thai Chicken, black been and chicken, etc... but are they good... especially when I leave the house at 5:30 to 6 a.m. with no breakfast to be in K'ville by 7:00 to 7:30 and set up by 9:00.... but definitely not what I got in Houston from the little lady from Guatemala or where ever that pedaled them around my office.

Nope! Alcohol is a dehydrator. Stick to the Gatorade if you have to, but water and lemon is better.

Long ago, in a galaxy far away ..... I did some contract microwave tower work for a friend during August and September in Dallas, TX. I drank plenty of water, soft drinks and lemonade. I got extremely dehydrated, had a lot of cramping, but still got the job done. After a few days, I decided to try a relatively new item - Gatorade - one evening. By the next morning, I was much better so I kept drinking Gatorade rather than water or soft drinks. At the end of the day, my innards were back to normal. In fact, rather than feeling dehydrated, I felt super-hydrated. No, I don't have any stock in Gatorade, just a big believer!

Leo i am totally in agreement with you. I love fall and spring when its not a on again off again spring. Like winter too when i have a heated shop, but i left a country that was like the South and have no desire to live in damp heat.
We have a scorcher here today, been out trying to finish my shed assembly. Man its hot and humid.
Just having a cup of tea and cooling off. Linda made some banana bread so its break time.
Not looking forward to going back outside. 😕

Bill, back in the time you are talking about, it was the soft drinks and lemonade that did you in. Sugar. Or even artificial sweeteners will do it. Not good in heat. Like I said the Gatorade will get you by but if you find an honest doctor, they will tell you that just cool water with lemon juice is better. And, cheaper by far. One of the jungle schools I went to was run by the French Foreign Legion. I don't think you would like the reaction if you asked for Gatorade. Or even if you went to the one in Panama. WATER is the best medicine. Straight lemon juice is natural with no ill effects. You see Gatorade at a lot of pro sports events, but if properly researched you might find if is paid advertising.

I will admit that some summer days here in Florida can be a little to hot but I tell people I want to be a reverse "Snow Bird".

Go to Costa Rica in the winter and return to Florida in the summer. If it gets below 75 or so I am cold.

I had to laugh a little at myself the other day. It was 88 with high humidity and I was feeling comfortable outside.