I do NOT like this AT ALL

Water doesn't replace electrolytes lost through perspiration, nor will salt as was once used. Yes, Gatorade gets a lot of advertising at sporting events but it's there because it works.

Problem with gatorade for me is it tastes like the water and lemon that horses have used and are now discarding. I haven't found a flavor yet that I like. I'll still stick with the water.

Back when he was share cropping, my dad always took a gallon jug, wrapped it in burlap, then soaked it well water and kept it sitting in a shaded area of the field... he would drink that gallon of water before lunch and when he came in for lunch (it was dinner for us then - the evening meal was supper), he would re-soak the burlap and refill the jug for the afternoon's work.

Chuck, your Dad was smart. That's an old trick from years gone by. Remember the old desert water bags? Same principle. You had the water bag and then it was covered with burlap or some other material that would soak water in. And, as a general rule ground water temp is around 56. Nice and cool.

When I used to bale hay when I was young, Nothing tasted better, or hydrated me better, than a few beers at the end of the day, LOL. Yeah, Of course during the day we had plenty of water, but that first beer at the end of the day. Makes me want to volunteer to bale hay for someone around here just to get that same feeling again.

Water doesn't replace electrolytes lost through perspiration, nor will salt as was once used. Yes, Gatorade gets a lot of advertising at sporting events but it's there because it works.

Its worth noting though that the people who use gatorade for hydration cut it something like 4:1 or more with water versus the stuff you buy in the store which is a bit to strong if you're consuming any volume of it. A little bit of sugar and salts does help the water uptake (and the salts replace the lost electrolytes).

Even the Legion would issue salt tablets in hot country - most of those are now a mix of various salts to balance the contents of sweat so are fairly close to gatorade. Salts are slow to absorb though so you really need to take them quite a while before you actually need them (like 12 hours before). I believe the stuff in gatorade is formulated to absorb a bit faster but wouldn't entirely like to count on it.

I've made the mistake of drinking to much just plain water in the heat before and its not one I'd like repeat, the muscle cramps were .. unpleasant. I think having a beer accelerated the problem as well, so I wouldn't count on being adequately hydrated entirely preventing that problem. I believe I had a "mild" case of this (for some definition of "mild"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I was hospitalized in 1977 in Oklahoma for severe dehydration, double pneumonia and collapsed veins and arteries. I was out there learning to shoe horses and in one week was hauled to the hospital at near half the weight I was a week earlier. The doctor told my dad to make arrangements to take a casket home with him. I have been prone to dehydrate easily ever since then. Twice others have seen a doctor and a couple of other times passed out at the garden hose running water over my wrists. There is some thought that is what created my right arm needing a new artery and they are trying to evaluate me regularly to anticipate other arteries doing the same. Back then all they had was the yellow Gatorade and I hated the taste of that stuff. I also was on a regime of salt tablets well into the '80's. I get sick just from eating on extremely hot days. In college I was push mowing yard, had a wonderful shake on a real hot day, mistake to say the least. What if I may ask is the percentage of lemon to water you guys suggest?

Crashed due to heat exhaustion twice while in Phoenix. Woke up in the hospital in a water tank with IV's everywhere both times. Didn't do that again!

Stay in the shade if at all possible. Take many breaks. Cool water and lemon (to taste). Learn to listen to your body and then pay attention! Now I love the heat. Hate cold. But I still can easily go light-heated if things get too warm. Then it is time to quit for a while. I hate hospitals.

Also,been in a sweatshirt most of last week. Temperature barely out of the '60's. Might hit 80 the end of this week. Bring it on! I'm cold.

Last edited:
Interesting exchange of stories and life skills for living in hot places. Im not built for southern climates. The temperatures here might edge into the 90's Farenheit for a week or so mid-summer and we don't know how we'll survive!
Brent, I'll give you a call when the hay's coming and you can re-live that part of your youth, beer is provided!
For your amusement: 8 degrees C here at 6 am this morning. No mosquitos.

Last edited:
Jonathan, I don't really measure it. What I do is add just enough that after you mix it you get a slight taste of lemon. That's all that's needed. Anymore and you might run around puckered up. Doing it that was has saved my bacon several times.

For your amusement: 8 degrees C here at 6 am this morning. No mosquitos.

8 degrees, No Mosquitos......keep me a place Peter I am on my way. Lol

Always thought we had a lot of mossies (as we call em) in SA but man Ontario takes the cake and prize.

Thought i was escaping the critters leaving Africa, oh boy what a mistake that thought was. I guess being Canada we too caring to kill the blood suckers, if so lets rather mess with their genes and change that sputum they use so it dont itch. Lol

Ahhhh good old salt tablets mentioned.....that brought back a memory or two of my army days. In basic training we were lined up each morning and given a "smartie" (our joke for salt tablet). Instructor handed them out one by one. You had to crunch it in your mouth and show him before he moved on to the next guy.

Then you saw it come out in your uniform and even our leather boots. Boy they worked us hard.

...Ahhhh good old salt tablets mentioned.....that brought back a memory or two of my army days. In basic training we were lined up each morning and given a "smartie" (our joke for salt tablet). Instructor handed them out one by one. You had to crunch it in your mouth and show him before he moved on to the next guy.

Then you saw it come out in your uniform and even our leather boots. Boy they worked us hard.

BTDT! Same here with USMC, circa 1966.

Ditto. I worked at Ft. Irwin (So. California). I remember those salt dispensers and everyone grabbing one as they exited the building. I also operated the old fashioned phone lines while there (Laugh In, Ernestine, one ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy...OK, I'm old)

When I had my gall bladder taken out, I was so proud of myself for drinking lots of water. Guess what, my electrolytes became really low. My surgeon said I should be drinking either Gatorade or a flat soda instead. I think a combo of each would work out.

Last edited:
Ditto. I worked at Ft. Irwin (So. California). I remember those salt dispensers and everyone grabbing one as they exited the building. I also operated the old fashioned phone lines while there (Laugh In, Ernestine, one ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy...OK, I'm old)

Sharon,
When were you in Ft Irwin, my step son and a nephew was there in the early '90's.... my step son was infantry and trained some of the guys that went to Desert Storm... he was disappointed he didn't get to go..... my nephew was in the motor pool and worked as a mechanic...he was there in '92 when I passed through with my mother on the way to California to my daughter's wedding.

Sharon,
When were you in Ft Irwin, my step son and a nephew was there in the early '90's.... my step son was infantry and trained some of the guys that went to Desert Storm... he was disappointed he didn't get to go..... my nephew was in the motor pool and worked as a mechanic...he was there in '92 when I passed through with my mother on the way to California to my daughter's wedding.

I was there 72-74 (told you I was old :rofl:). It had just gone from Federal to State at the time. I was part of the caretaker group that kept it ready in the winter when the National Guard troops would come down periodically for weekend training, then full time in the summer for their two weeks each.

One of the most exciting experiences was watching the arrival of the Canadian Air Borne Regiment. Nothing (neither people nor very large equipment) arrived unless it jumped or was pushed out of a plane. Was a very exciting sight to see all the parachutes. Wish we had cell cameras back then.

I was there 72-74 (told you I was old :rofl:). It had just gone from Federal to State at the time. I was part of the caretaker group that kept it ready in the winter when the National Guard troops would come down periodically for weekend training, then full time in the summer for their two weeks each.

One of the most exciting experiences was watching the arrival of the Canadian Air Borne Regiment. Nothing (neither people nor very large equipment) arrived unless it jumped or was pushed out of a plane. Was a very exciting sight to see all the parachutes. Wish we had cell cameras back then.

Probably not as old as you think... I've only been in Ft Irwin once to visit my nephew (didn't know my stepson then) and that is in '92.... used to go through Barstow regularly though... even though I worked for an airlines in SFran,from '67 to '76, I preferred to drive home to Texas and Oklahoma to see the folks... back then I drove a Corvette, so was much more fun to drive than to fly.

Probably not as old as you think... I've only been in Ft Irwin once to visit my nephew (didn't know my stepson then) and that is in '92.... used to go through Barstow regularly though... even though I worked for an airlines in SFran,from '67 to '76, I preferred to drive home to Texas and Oklahoma to see the folks... back then I drove a Corvette, so was much more fun to drive than to fly.

If you were driving a corvette I am sure you were doing your share of flying!!!!!:thumb:

If you were driving a corvette I am sure you were doing your share of flying!!!!!:thumb:

Yep, After my '64 was stolen and replaced with a '65, I made a trip back to OK to see my mom... I had a slight shimmy in the rear end, and at 95-96 mph my rear view mirrors would go blank, so I just dropped back until I could see through them again... when I got back to San Carlos in CA I had two of the slickest tires you ever saw... put the 'vette in the shop to have the rear end aligned and bought two new tires.