Spindle Turning

The guy in video #1 is remarkable in that he's working on a huge scale with tools totally unsuited for the task. (And living to tell about it...at least for now.)

The guy in video #2 is remarkable because he figured out what tools ARE suited for the task, and has mastered their use. :thumb:

Really have appreciation for seeing both, I won't be doing either but good to see that options. I have to think that the first guy needs a few advil before bedtime, at a minimum. ;)

The guy in video #2 is remarkable because he figured out what tools ARE suited for the task, and has mastered their use. :thumb:

The guy in the second video is Virgil Leih. His work has been on display at the MN Landscape Arboretum, where I've been lucky enough to see it in person and, somewhat surreptitiously, fondle it. It's amazing that something that size shows no cracking at all. He made his own microwave oven, big enough to hold a log, that can dry out the wood without cracking. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Yeah Vid 1 is not the safest but it looks like he gets the job done. He's probably done lots of those columns and and makes do with what he has available. Notice his method of speed control, turn it on then off and cut until it is too slow. I would guess that he hasn't got the money behind his tool purchases that video 2 has.