this is what happens when a flatworker runs out of projects

allen levine

first time since nov 2008 I don't have any projects to build. I feel lost. wandering into the abyss, I just hope the cookies that Ive been promised are sugar free.

Attachments

• bowl6616 004.jpg
    bowl6616 004.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
the good thing about turning wood, its pretty quiet. I can listen to the radio, have the doors open, not worried about annoying nosy neighbors looking to complain to anyone that will listen.

Im waiting on my daughter to finally tell me shes getting married so I can start on a dining room table and a few other odds and ends for her.

I just don't have anywhere to store the stuff.

today Im working on a candy dish. Im trying for that squared edge wing look that I saw from expert Don Orr, still cant get close to replicating his shape on that dish, but I wont give up.

Attachments

• candydish 003.jpg
    candydish 003.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 29
  • candydish 002.jpg
    candydish 002.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 30
Cool candy dish, Allen. :thumb: When I've turned similar things in the past, I've adjusted my shop lighting to help me see the "ghost edge" as the piece is spinning. I found that little or no overhead lighting, with an incandescent bulb in an adjustable lamp (a Moffett light) coming from a side angle helped make the ghost more visible. I've even gone so far as to turn off all my shop lighting and only use the single Moffett lamp on the piece. Sorta strange turning in a darkened room, but it made it easier to control the cut. (And preserve the knuckles.)

That's odd... Usually flatworkers ( and turners as well) run out of time not out of projects... On the other hand why a flower vase or a bowl or similar has to be turned?? Why not make one out of flat boards for a change? Allen you have to admit that you wanted to turn something and that's all, no shame on it. ;):D