Turf and Ag tires

Rob Keeble

Pulling my hair out with regards to tires.

I am looking for new tires for my Kubota B6200HSTD and unable to come up with finding turf tires at a sensible price. Can find rears but $320 US each plus shipping has me wanting to change the tires and rims.

Is any member here knowledgeable on tires.

I have cumulatively spent days in hours reading Orange tractor threads and frankly more confusion than answers.

Then i go through my manuals and find it distinctly says " Important do not fill the following tires with water.... and goes on to mention the exact tires i have on my tractor that are filled with washer fluid. So I dunno previous owner swore by it and manual says to use it as ballast but they do make the point of referring to it with Ag tires so i can understand that.

What i am in need of is help to match a new set of tires to my tractor keeping in mind its 4x4 and from everything i have read to date, best i can establish is that Kubota transmission can tolerate a small lead like up to 5%.

My problem is while i am grasping the gist of what needs to be done, i have no idea how all the calcs are to be done.

I see at Orange tractor that some guys have put skid steer type tires on their tractors in the midst of the originals being obsolete but my model has not been mentioned in threads. The issue with not hanging out on other forums is one has no clue who has proven knowledge on a topic and is putting out legitimate info.

Tired my local tire dealer and none of the tires even appear on their system. Tried local Kubota dealer and got told sorry tires now obsolete dont have alternatives.
Tried calling US Firestone company that makes a turf tire in the correct sizes for my tractor both front and rear and got given a local tire dealer that does not deal in commercial or ag Firestone tires and that was supposed to be their Canadian rep.

If any one here has knowledge of this stuff please shout if you willing to help me work through what i need.

Existing rear tires are 29 x 12 -15 turf and Front 20.5 x 8 -10 turfs.

No i have found a 29 x 12.5 - 15 but i am concerned its not a proper replacement and the 20.5 x 8 -10 i found a metric tire that is supposed to be the same.

I cannot just wing it because i have seen threads cautioning people of the 4x4 binding issue and wear on HST transmission.

The AGs that are approved for this tractor are also impossible to come by 6 - 12 B front and 8 -16 rear

I tell you i never knew there were so many different tire sizes as you find when you look in the agricultural and commercial applications. Seems each equipment manufacturers engineers come up with their own tire sizes.

Hope someone here has a lead of sorts for me. Going to buy in the US and have shipped to my Niagara address.

So I did some googling as well and didn't come up with any but the 12.5 wide ones too. I really don't think it will make a huge difference and you'll probably be within your 5% spec, which is pretty generous, my ford expedition with AWD has to be within 1%. Have you calculated the curcumferences to see what the 5% adds up to in wheel diameter? Given that .5" difference I'd expect your diameter to increase a little on a 12" rim, but not much

Where I think it could make a difference is the clearance between the tire and inner wheel well. Check that to see if you've got a few inches that it won't rub being wider. Even if they are a bit wider and too close, you could always add some spacers on the rear between the axle and wheel. I think diameter wise you'll be fine though.

I have ags on my 750 jd and the turfs are MUCH larger than my ags. I would prefer to have turfs over the ags. I mow my lawn with my tractor and it leaves lug marks in the grass and will very easily tear things up. If you look in the John Deere manuals it will tell you what the turf tires and ag tire sizes are. Have you looked at the manual or the service manual for you to after to see what they propose to use for different tire sizes on the Kabota? I know I can see the two different sizes of tires of my tractor runs just by checking my operation manual. Me personally I have my tires are not loaded just because of the chloride ate my rims up so I took the calcium chloride out of it. but they do load tires now With beat juice which does not corrode, you also have to put additive in it to make sure that it does not gel up on you in winter time and especially water is going to freeze. I don't have any issues plowing, Mowing, brush hogging, towing, tilling, or any type of work with my tractor with unloaded tires.

Thanks Darren and Jim.

@Darren, the 5% tolerance i have referred to is not out the manuals its off orange tractor talks from what best i can determine guys with higher tractor pay grades than me. What u said and found about the 12.5 is exactly what i was thinking. Space is not an issue at all for that much extra width. The hubs can be moved in and out substantially.

Jim i have operations manual, full service workshop manual direct from Kubota and even a detailed exploded view Kubota parts manual.

They spec out the tires in the various models. The manuals cover 6200 and all its derivatives ( those being manual gears, hst, then 4wd with hst)
Big trouble is given this tractor series originates in 80's even though mine is a 92 it still refers to the series tires as tractor data site has.

I guess i just discovered the reason the guy was selling it and had upgraded even before selling it.

Also have a hydraulic fluid lead to take care of for which i have ordered a bunch of gaskets and seals.
Going to give it a full maint service, rad hoses too ( they still cloth covered originals 😕.

I am going to join Orange tractor and see if i can get some input from a couple of specific guys i have noticed seem to keep the place going.
Not found any threads there covering my specific model. Seems to be mostly older or the 7000 series which from what i gleaned from both my manuals ( they extend to cover that range too) and the site have different gear ratios on 4wd. So the logic of what to do is transferable but the detail tends to be missing.

Thanks for input. Every bit helps.

Looks like i am just going to have to belly up to the bar and shell out the coin for the firestone proper size versions. ( for 2 rear tires thats going to run me about $1300 Cdn by the time i have them home.)

For fronts i have found non turfs that dont get me excited but for now they cheap.

I would soon go all out and get new rims and r4s that match up all round and be done and set for the future.

Good thing is so far i have not found a engine/ body part that i cannot get from multiple suppliers or aftetermarketJust the tires and rims giving me a workout. But no better way to learn about a piece of equipment. Farmers really have my respect for what they go through daily.

Rob
I have no specific experience or advice to offer here. But, the Kubota dealer just down the road here has a very good sales and service reputation. Let me know if you want me to make inquiries with them.