Zebra wood hall table

Robert Rose

I've been asked to build a half oval hall table for a good friend out of zebra wood. I've never used it and was wondering as to work ability and suggestions for final finish. From what I have read it does not seem to pose any major challenge, but thought I would ask the FWW crowd for things to look out for. Thanks

This jewelry box and a few turkey calls are the limit of my zebra wood experience. The box is zebra wood, wenge and blood wood. Finish is two coats of Waterlox and some renaissance wax. It worked well with both power and hand tools.
DSC04296.jpg

Started cutting up the zebra wood. Glued together three boards for top of table and three more are in the clamps, should be ready to cut the 1/2 ovals in both. Also glued up the blocks for the skirt between the 4 legs. Only the 2 shelves are zebra, the legs and supporting pieces are just pine as they will be painted. I already have the legs left from a project that never got off the ground except for the legs. What you see of the zebra (15 ft. 1x6) was $200. I think it is nice wood but a little to rich for my blood, at that price. Thought I was going to have more fun tomorrow but got a call about my broken A/C down stairs and looks I'm up the road to buy a new one. Back in the shop on Wednesday I hope.IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1081.jpg

Well after a disaster with the new A/C, same model but in one year the company changed the size so it did not fit in old opening. Enough about that, it is in so lets go on. Back in shop and I've cut one shelf out and sanded it (rough). Ready for it's profile with router. Second shelf glued up but will require some modifications to come. The skirt pieces are cut and sanded, still have to bevel each end to fit tight to legs. I'm kind of winging this as I go from a rough drawing. So far so good.IMG_1084.jpgIMG_1085.jpg

Finally got some good time in the shop. Legs and braces all sanded and glued up. Waiting on client to get back to me on color. Top and shelf cut out and sanded. Trying to decide on finish?
I have to finish before the 11th as we are off on vacation.
mockup.jpgclosing in on the end.jpgjust have to apply finish.jpg

Good looking table Robert, wife once asked me to make her something like that, i got out of it by selling the house.lol

Something i am having a hard time visualizing is the mix of zebra wood and painted legs. Guess the customer is always right eh.

...Something i am having a hard time visualizing is the mix of zebra wood and painted legs...

It ought to look pretty good, Rob. A while back, I made a TV stand with a shelf for the DVR/cable box, etc., and a closed cabinet under that for miscellaneous stuff (junk). Painted it a deep (near-black) grey, and put cherry doors on the lower cabinet. It looks quite nice - and better yet, the wife approved.

You're right Rob. I thought so also., but the customer whats black legs, after all they are just pine. Just finished painting them. They look good by themselves but we will see when I bring in the selves to attach.
Decided to go with antique oil finish. I have two coats on and boy them look great. I'll get some final pictures before I hand it over and post them.

Nice work Robert. Customer wants what they want. I think I would have used the grain of the pine to faux stain the zebra wood grain for the base. then over lay a stain to get the tone. Just a suggestion for the next one.

Finished and will deliver tomorrow morning. Off on a house hunting trip Monday. Moving from the Keys after forty years. To much traffic and to expensive to live here. Love the place but we have to move for our sanity. We will sure miss it.IMG_1124.jpgIMG_1125.jpgIMG_1126.jpg