Some CNC program questions

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I am probably overthinking a situation here. I have not yet purchased V-Carve Pro and I wonder if I should even though my machine is a long way from operational.

Here is the deal. I am traveling a very winding path to get a executable file for the Laser to use. Its program requires the import of a dxf file with measurements in mm. I have been using SketchUp for original drawings. Now I want to use a photo to create a cooling grill for the electronics bay of the cabinet. I have imported it into SketchUp as a .jpg. Resized it to fit the opening. Drew a mounting frame boarder around it.

Now I need a vectorized file to export as a dxf.

Can I take my 'drawing' into V-Carve Pro and find the edges of the pattern, clean up the polylines and export it as a dxf to import into the Laser cut file?

What else will I need to know?

Yes, VCP will export as a DXF, as well as EPS, AI and SVG.

VCP can also import a SketchUp file directly. Then, you don't need to have VCP "fit vectors to bit map".

Edit: Another approach is to take SU out of the loop. Import the jpg to VCP, fit vectors to it, clean them up and resize to whatever you need.

Last edited:
Just what I needed to hear, Bill. Thanks so much. Since I work on a MacBook but have acquired a PC for my machine, I will set up the PC, download the free trial version and get to learning!