Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Cherry Wing Bowl

Cracked Cherry Wing Bowl

Greetings all

This is an older piece, but one I never got a good picture of. Since I had the camera out yesterday, I took a couple, but am just now getting around to posting.

I turned this piece back in the fall of 2004. The wood was given to me by Alan Turner, who asked me to turn two bowls out of the burl and give him first pick. This one has a huge crack running right through the middle, and I was not even sure at first I could get it to stay on the lathe. I was not to be beaten by a piece of wood though, and with a little bit of trepidation, I got it turned. I turned the bowl part to recurve, since there was no way to vacuum chuck it, and I was not sure how else I would be able to hold it and still finish off the bottom. Because it is curved in, I was able to pad the jaws of my chuck and expand it into the bowl rim to hold it and finish it.

Here you can see the crack in the bottom. It made life exciting, I can tell you. I left the walls a little thicker than I usually do on a piece like this just to keep that crack from flexing and sending the thing twirling through the air like a rotor without its helicopter attached.

Overall size is 13" from tip to tip and about 3" high or thereabouts. The bowl itself is around 4" in diameter. It is finished with Watco Danish Oil and buffed by hand. Thanks for taking a look.

Oh yeah, here are a couple of pics of the other half, which I posted two years ago.

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Bill,

As always, gorgeous work!!

I have to tell you, it scares me just to THINK about those things spinning on a lathe in front of me. Ouch, and loads of expletives come to mind if I were to try something like that!

Thanks for sharing...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill,
    That looks to be a real knuckle buster. came out great and I am glad it held together for you.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Beautiful piece of wood Bill that is for sure. I just can't imagine turning a wicked piece like that! Nice work. I can't imagine turning something like that without a long long gouge

corey

Bill that is fantastic, a true "Winged" bowl!

Don't you just love friends who help you out by giving you wood like that

Thanks for sharing!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

once again bill...........cool stuff with an amazing pucker factor! thanks for sharing....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Yipes! Beautiful to look at...but scary to think about turning it. I keep thinking it sounded like a airplane prop.

Thanks guys! I did make one mistake in my posting, which is a fault of relying on faulty memory. Is that a double fault? It is just a little larger than I had noted, 17" from tip to tip with the bowl being a hair over 5" in diameter.
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine View Post
    Thanks guys! I did make one mistake in my posting, which is a fault of relying on faulty memory. Is that a double fault? It is just a little larger than I had noted, 17" from tip to tip with the bowl being a hair over 5" in diameter.
    Bill,

All that does is increase the pucker factor by a few inches...

I'd love to watch you turn one of those some day...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Marty, I'd be glad to meet you someday. Truth be told, I was doing this in your area just a few weeks ago! I spent a day with the Columbus club and then three days with the club in Atlanta. The regular meeting at Highland Hardware was the night I did the winged bowl demo.
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com