Celebrating Life

Don Baer

Staff member
Rob's post about loosing a friend prompted me to make this post. A week and a half ago my older brother passed away and I have been grieving along with the rest of the family. We all grieve in different ways . Bud and I grew up with our third brother Bill who was the eldest. He was killed in a traffic accident when I was but a teen so that brought the two of us closer. I have not posted sooner because I have been spending my idle time remembering. Remembering walking to school with my brothers, remembering building snow forts and having snow ball fights, walking to the Saturday afternoon show. Going fishing with our Dad all good times. I was his best man and he mine. I am the God father to his oldest son who is now 50 years old. I learned a lot from him and I hope he from me we had very different lives but we stayed close to the end.
My Brother Bud leaves 4 children 8 grand kids and 1 great grand kid. He did not want a funeral. He just wanted to be cremated and his ashes kept some where where his kids might visit him.
His kids are honoring his wishes his ashes will be kept in Las Vegas where two of his kids live along with most of his grand kids. My nephews and nice are going to have a celebration of life get together in Las Vegas in November around Buds Birthday and I think that Bud would like it that way. My two younger sister and younger brother will be joining them to help celebrate Buds life.

By the way He was a woodworker.

Attached is a small picture of my two brothers and me I must have been about 5. Bill is in the back seat Bud is in the passenger seat and I am behind the wheel.
driving.jpg

Sorry for your loss Don. Bud sounds like a great brother to have had and sounds like you two made great memories and each lived great lives to reflect back upon.

My condolences on your brothers passing Don. I agree celebrate his life and as Carol so wisely said cherish those good times you had together. Seems there were quite a few through the years. All the best.

Very sorry to see this news, Don. Sending my best wishes for peace and comfort to you and all of your brother's family.

Don,
It's hard to loose a brother, no matter how old either of you are... I lost my brother in 1963... he was born with cerebral palsy and was effectively an invalid his entire life. In high school I would rush home to take care of him so my mother could go to work in the evenings. I fed him, bathed him and put him to bed. I was in the Navy when he died at age 13 in a school/hospital in Austin, Texas... It was difficult for me to get home to his funeral, but I did make it. I still grieve for him and regret we never had a chance to have the palsy relationship lots of brothers have.... my one regret in life was that I was home on leave in January 1963 and asked my dad to take me to Austin to see him.. it wasn't convenient at the time for Dad and I didn't push the issue... I still get a little choked up when I think about not going... he died in April.

I'm sorry for your loss ... I know no other words to say that will offer any comfort.

Last edited: