A token project...

Kerry Burton

About 9 years ago a customer sent me an RSA token to use when logging into their network:

RSAToken_StockImage.jpg

For some 1,700 workdays I struggled to position the token at a good viewing angle. If I stood it on edge I couldn't read the numbers at all. If I laid it flat on my desk -- same problem. For a while I was able to lean it up against one of my monitor stands, but it inevitably slipped and fell over.

Last year I received a new docking station from my employer. Taping the token to the front of it worked "OK"...

ELPH330_2401_TokenTapedToDockingStation.jpg

... but you gotta admit: kinda tacky, right? (No tape-related humor intended.)

Finally, after all these years, it occurred to me that I could MAKE something to solve the problem. (Duh!) This is what I created from a piece of scrap wood (alder?) ... using a Forstner bit in the drill press, the table saw, a router plane, and a bit of sandpaper glued around 3 sides of a square stick:

ELPH330_2400_TokenInAlderHolder.jpg

After seeing a picture of it, a coworker said they would love to have a similar holder for their (identical) token. So I found a chunk of pecan wood in my scrap bin and made 3 more holders:

ELPH330_2392_FirstFour.jpg

The hardest part about the process is getting the bottom of the Forstner hole and the bottom of the groove to lie in the same plane. :huh:

So far I've tried 2 different "edge treatments":

ELPH330_2399_FirstTwoStyles_EndView.jpg

If I make any more holders, I'll experiment with additional "looks".

And now you are in business! I'd run the dados first, drill the holes, saw the angled edges, round the corners, and slice to length for production purposes. You may have more 'customers.'

This is how businesses get started.

Good on you!

I'd run the dados first, drill the holes, saw the angled edges, round the corners, and slice to length for production purposes.

Thanks Carol! It's been a while since I made these, but I believe I did just that with the 3 pecan pieces.

You may have more 'customers.'

This is how businesses get started.

That's an interesting thought! I think I found a couple 3D printer patterns for related items, but in my opinion you can't beat a nice figured wood for something like this. On the other hand, with the effort needed for sanding, finishing, etc it might be hard to break even ... unless one were to charge "business" prices.

Also, I don't have a good feel for how many folks typically leave this type of token on their desks. You almost have to be a work-from-home type (like myself) for one of these to make sense. But those ranks are certainly growing!

That looks a bit better than where I keep mine...

You can also see my paper clip phone cradle in the background in this pic boy do I need to clean my keyboard out! :eek::eek:

Attachments

• 20160711_081008.jpg
    20160711_081008.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 14
I used to have to use one of those gizmos. That's way better than my method of just leaving it laying around and hoping I could find it when I needed it!

So what is that thing - what is it used for?

It produces a new login password every 30 or 60 seconds to remotely log onto a computer network. I work inside an insurance company, but actually work for a rental car company. I work on the insurance company's computer system, but need access to my company's network as well. Just another level of security...

So what is that thing - what is it used for?

Two-factor authentication to networks and computers. You enter your password, then it asks for the number displayed (token) on the little key fob. The token is synced with the server authenticating and changes every 60 seconds or so to keep the hackers guessing. ;)

I use a mobile phone version with just about any site I use that supports it. I'd recommend one for anyone that has on-line financial accounts, banking, or even for your email if it support it.