CNC cabinet update with pix

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Been busy this week. Got some stuff done.

Here is the front of the cabinet.

CNC Cabinet front.jpg

Closer shot of the control panel.

control panel 1.jpg

On the inside, lots of plumbing. First, from the vacuum pump. Snagged at a yard sale, cleaned up, new paint, new mufflers, a filter, and good to go.

Vacuum pump.jpg

Behind the vacuum table with its vac pods. Some more connections need to be made from the pods to the manifold and from the pump and manifold to the control panel.

Vac system 1.jpg

Then I got going on the electrical and all the control wires. This is it so far.

inside electronics bay 2.jpg

The black vertical box is the CPU on its side supported with 4 shelf supports lined with art foam. Next up is to wire switches and fuses.

Few other odds and ends and soon there will be a cabinet on the floor ready to receive the CNC machine. But the next two weeks are crazy busy, so I am glad that this much came together the last few days.

Nice. I really appreciate the nice neat layout, although if it were mine it would have to add some gratuitous brass gauges from the junk yard just to steam punk it up a bit:D:thumb:

"gratuitous brass gauges from the junk yard"

Too funny! 'Gratuitous' suggests free. Not any place around here! Brass, yet. Wow, I wish. The vacuum gauge is a cheapie I had laying around from my teaching vacuum clamping class days. Junk Yard. Ahhh... Days of yesteryear. Would that there were still junk yards to browse through. Ted, if they exist where you are, I will plan to visit!

Nice. I really appreciate the nice neat layout, although if it were mine it would have to add some gratuitous brass gauges from the junk yard just to steam punk it up a bit:D:thumb:

GOT CNC?

STEAMPUNK?

ABSOLUTELY - CAN DO!!!!

Don't need no stinkin real brass or rusty old strapping.

All of that can be made with a little fancy programming and some Modern Masters reactive paints.

So - but the little real dial in there and do the mega hilights with fancy dance and the CNC

Carol i saw your post when there were no replys and i was so amazed i was speechless. You totally inspire me. I have no clue how you manage to get all this done in between all the other things you have going. You one heck of a gal if you dont mind the expression.

So now to your machine, those vacuum hold downs are for vertical clamping correct?
I presume there will be a horizontal table too or do i have the incorrect uderstanding of the images?
How did you cut what i presume is uhmw plastic on the vacuum table?

You are right about what you saw is the vertical table. The plastic is HDPE. I had a mostly whole sheet left over from my jig making days from years ago. There is enough for the horizontal table as well. The plastic is cut with ordinary woodworking tools, nothing special.

As for what I do. As you well know, I love my day job, but this allows me to engage my brain in something more finite than human relations. I always have a few projects brewing at one time. Keeps boredom away. :rofl: And there is the future specter of earning a buck or three with it. Always an intriguing thought for the entrepreneurial mind.

As for the quantity of work, I think I am pretty much a slacker. I am always waiting on a part or better idea. I am easily distracted but I keep detailed journals of each project so I can pick it back up when the time is again right. I am more interested in the journey than in the destination. Nothing wrong with that. Whatever floats your boat.

Right now I am also considering upgrading my laptop myself which is probably an unmitigated disaster of an idea! And I am assembling a small, cheapie table saw set-up to do drawers and trim for the CNC cabinet. See what I mean about being easily distracted? :D

But, yeah, no TV, bon-bons, or chaise lounges for me. I do have the wood and plans for a Sam Maloof rocking chair though! :thumb:

That looks awesome Carol.What type of projects will you do with the CNC? I have no knowledge at all of CNC work.I could use it somewhat in my flute work but I lack the knowledge and finances right now.