A sweat gilding job

My upholster finished up 2 chairs I restored , these chairs were in very rough shape and needed full restoration to get them back to the surface to receive the gold leaf.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20160712_140053.jpg
    20160712_140053.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20160712_140107.jpg
    20160712_140107.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 37
Queen Ann chairs I believe, These chairs if original were originally gilded. These are late 18th century early 19th , rather nice chairs and I have done a couple dozen over the years.

Nice work Dave, the gilding came out really clean looking! In my rather naive view it seems like getting those larger flat areas just so where they don't show any issues after gilding would be the more nerve racking part.

Although I can't see ever wanting something like this in my house (or it surviving very long if it was :rofl:) the complete package here works really well imho. And of course the work is, as always, first rate :thumb:

Ryan it only get nerve racking when someone walks in the room when I am transferring the leaf from the book onto the piece. The slightest air current will send the leaf flotting through the air.

Ouch! Either some clumsy movers or they need to quit playing frisbee in the house!

Back to the chairs, getting the large areas flat enough to not show any deviation with that shiny of a surface would require a lot of attention to detail though wouldn't it? Kind of like a gloss black but worse. Either way they sure look spot on from where I'm sitting.