It's Friday - 7/15/2016 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
TGIF! I'm meeting some old co-workers for our monthly lunch and I think we've got a happy hour with some other friends tonight. Tomorrow I'm probably going to be busting up part of my pool deck to work on a leak in my return line. If I survive that, I'm needing to get some cabinets ready to install in the Laundry Room and replace the decking on my trailer.

What's on every one else's plate this weekend?

Trying to stay cool. I worked outside all day yesterday with 100 degree heat index weather and sweated off more than five pounds. Thanks to others for the lemon water tip to ward off cramps. Now I just need a fountain base to finish up the back patio project. Got company coming, so will be cleaning and rearranging in preparation. Despite an abundance of rabbits that have figured out how to levitate over my fence, the garden is producing like crazy and keeps us busy freezing and canning. It is very close to BLT time as the big tomatoes are almost ready!

Did more prep (spray sealer) this morning(Friday) on some boards I'll use to make name plaques. Finishing an SU drawing for a decorative panel to replace the one that's missing from the glass doors on our 100-year-old secretary.

Saturday should be adding topcoat to the name boards in preparation to apply vinyl mask for carving them on my CNC.

Sunday - the usual routine with me preparing brunch, then settling in for NASCAR.

Looks like work/work is on tap for the weekend. So probably not a lot of shop time. But I will find time to soak my cares away out in the pool!

Hope to be outside most of the weekend as the temps should be in the high 70s low 80s for highs:D. We turned off the AC and opened up the house last night haven't done that in quite a while. Bike ride and picnic planned for tomorrow and then patio time with some friends in the evening. :bbq:

Next week brings 100+ heat indexes for about 10 days. :(

It's gonna be too hot here to do much outside, but I plan to spread a little chemical warfare love on the insects and weeds in our yards. We've been seeing (and smooshing) scorpions again this year, so I've been spraying with a commercial grade insecticide about every 6 weeks. And with gravel landscaping like we have in large parts of the yard, Roundup is the most effective for keeping the weeds down.

I'm also planning to spend some quality (read: air conditioned) time playing around with a new audio mixer for the bands I'm in. It's the Behringer X-Air XR18 and it has no knobs or sliders...everything is controlled via a tablet. I'm evaluating it to see if we want to keep it or go with a more conventional analog board.

Working on a tee square type table saw fence for a very small bench top saw. Criteria: very inexpensive, reasonably accurate, easily obtainable parts, fun engineering.

So far I have some aluminum extrusions, some plastic, double stick tape, a HF clamp guide, a yard stick, a roll spring pin, a small package of screws, and a SketchUp drawing of a mounting gizmo for the tee part of the fence. Tomorrow I will see about manufacturing said part (mill, 3d printer?) and then assemble the whole thing. Maybe do an Instructable of the process. Pictures to follow.

This little Rockwell saw was kept to use with my I-Box jig but now I need to make some drawers for the CNC cabinet and the big cabinet saw is unavailable (as still in storage).

Saturday I baught what a friend described as I didn't know you needed another project. Jarrod and I traveled to western Md to pick this 68 up. It will be a surprize for my wife. She sold her 68 after we were married.
Today did a 250 ride up through Gettysburg and into the mountains.

Attachments

• 20160716_115141.jpg
    20160716_115141.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20160716_141341.jpg
    20160716_141341.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160716_145120.jpg
    20160716_145120.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 30
Saturday I baught what a friend described as I didn't know you needed another project. Jarrod and I traveled to western Md to pick this 68 up. It will be a surprize for my wife. She sold her 68 after we were married.
Today did a 250 ride up through Gettysburg and into the mountains.

Pretty good looking bug... I had a friend in California that worked with me at TWA... he drove a '67 or '68... not near as good looking as yours... his was some sort of pukey green, but he went through an engine a year on it... instead of fixing it, he would just swap engines. He definitely used and abused his car... his commute was from south San Jose to the San Fran airport.

My bug was a '72 that I bought new... was a nice car until the second baby came along and we outgrew it.

Peter , Rob and Chuck , it is in great condition. After taking the wheels off the drums are new , no ware and the breaks , paint is somewhat new engine tune up parts were are new at the time it was parked. Minor replacement items. Left heavy heat muffler, tires interior liner, (mice) or rear turn signal cover and battery other then that , it's good to go. I feel I made a good deal.