Fairly Large Hackberry Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I have been turning a series of hackberry bowls for one of my re-sellers and decided I ought to show one of them to you. This particular bowl is 12 3/4" in diameter, 3 3/4" high and has a depth of 3". It holds almost exactly one gallon at the lip. The wood was sealed with walnut oil and then given another coat and buffed. Then it received several coats while spinning of walnut oil and shellac. I have been going a bit heavier on the shellac lately as most of my customers have been wanting shinier bowls. If it were totally up to me I would only use the walnut oil and buff it and keep a more natural look. But, it ain't up to me. As Simon and Garfunkel sang "Got to Keep the Customer Satisfied". I have to finish up turning a total of 20 bowls, all different sizes, which in this heat is a bit of a job. Here's to you all liking it. :D

With all this beautiful turnings I'm almost tempted to get a lathe and try my hand at it. Have several pieces Dad turned many years ago and love to display them.

David

Thanks everybody! David, go for it! Turning is fun. More fun than anything I have ever done with wood, and I used to build custom rustic furniture. Had to downsize what I did so I watched some YouTube videos on wood turning and decided I can do that. Been at it now for 8 or so years and love. Never boring.

Thanks again all. Vaughn, my only problem if it's actually a problem with large orders is he increased it last night from 20 to 30 total. I'm not sure if I have enough usable hackberry for that many. Time will tell. At least I don't have to do them all at once. I can spread it out a little bit.