do i or dont i

larry merlau

they are offering free upgrade to windows 10 by the end of the month or so and i dont want trouble am running windows 8 now,, so is 10 ok or do i need help putting it on to make it work ok?

i went from 7 to 10 on my laptop ol son, haven't looked back. after the the laptop's hard drive quit on me, got the new one, loaded out 10 with no problems. when i got the brain for the cnc machine (no system on it) it got 10 too, with no problems. so far, so good, 10 does everything i need it to do, and it works and plays well with all of my software. a little time to get used to the new layout, but it can be handled.

We have four (4!) computers, all operating flawlessly on Win 10.

Two of them were sneakily 'upgraded' by Microsoft during the night. We must have missed an "Upgrade Now" message or something.

All four were Win 7 machines. I was hesitant to do the upgrade at first, but after the first one upgraded, and I got sorta used to it, I decided I liked it.

I've never used Win 8, but have heard it was a dog. :dunno:

Sooner or later, MS is likely to cut off support for earlier Wins, so upping to 10 is probably a good idea if you want continued upgrades/support.

I'm running 7. I did the upgrade to 10 and didn't particularly care for it. Got rid of it and went back to 7. Just didn't care for all of that "app" layout. I know I will have to upgrade eventually, but will wait a while. If I have to upgrade and pay for it when I do it, so be it. That's my hardheadedness costing me money which it has on occasions. Like Chuck I loved XP. Still have the dvd but it's 32 bit while my new machine is 64. It would run but not that great. I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. Seems to me though that every time they come up with a new OS, in basic computer file work they add steps here and there instead of making things easier. Maybe it's just me.

WIN 7 Pro here. No desire to switch to 10.

I have one graphics program I use to do images on the laser that only works with XP. I can upgrade that program but it is $400++. The XP version works fine for me.

WIN 7 Pro has an option to open a new window in WIN XP that I use for said program.

I updated two desktops and one laptop to Win 10 with some hesitation. I had no problem with the desktops but the laptop seemed real sluggish after the change. I took the laptop back to Win 7 for a while, then tried Win 10 again. This time, I made sure to let Windows go through all of the steps it wanted to do - just let it go until it was truly finished and had no problem with it.

I'm running it on two of my pc's, only issue I've had is the forced updates, with the pro version it will allow you to defer them, but the home version it will restart on you when it's ready with a short warning. I walked away from one and lost a file I had been working on, so save early and often for that reason. I've had no issues running any programs on it. I did pay the $5 for the start10 start menu button app, which give you more of the windows 7 options.

Win 7 pro here too. I upgraded three days ago and have had problems with jpg thumbnails not showing and no audio. Have tried all the suggested on line fixes and still have no thumbnails. The audio seems to have settled down. I'll give the thumbnails a few more chances and then, if I can't get them fixed will probably switch back to 7 pro.

A couple of years back, my computer crashed and to help me retrieve my data, my son gave me an Ubuntu disc that I loaded and worked with to get the XP back up and running... Ubuntu was Unix based and worked pretty good. I liked it and considered just staying with the Unix based OS.

My son runs his company on a Mac book or Mac based computers... My DIL is the chief payroll bookkeeper for a company out of Austin that handles contract workers for the oil rigs... a $1M weekly payroll and I think she's working on Mac based computer too. I'm also considering converting to Mac myself... don't really do much on computers except forums and keeping my inventory, pictures and my ETSY account.

I have Win 10 on 2 of my computers. One thing to consider if one runs CNC Mach won't work with the parallel port on any 64 bit system or Win 10. It will run if you use a motion controller on WIn10.
My laptop upgrade from * to 10 was anything bu soothe, however once I started over it has worked pretty well. I have some older hardware and the driver issue has been a pain. Had to figure out how to stop auto driver updates as the "New Good" drivers wouldn't work with some devices. I got burned with a couple of devices that had counterfeit USB chips in them that are now detected as bad with newer drivers and won't work. But I still have to have them work so had to do the workaround. All in all win 10 has been ok better than * but I still Like 7 that I keep on my cnc computer.

Upgraded my PC to from XP to 7 after the extended support ran out for XP. Windows 7 has 4 more years before the extended support ends on it, actually about 3 1/2 years, support ends on January 14th 2020 and I need to upgrade my video card in order to run 10, so I'll stick with 7 till I need a new PC. I have an older system in the shop that is basically a glorified stereo that is still running XP. That one will stay on XP because I don't believe it has all the specs to run anything newer.

I have two PCs that cannot be upgraded beyond XP for hardware reasons. They work great, but some vendors say their programs will not run on an unsupported operating system. I have a couple other machines that are still on XP for compatibility with the first two.

One newer machine came with Win 7, but it wants to use Home Group networking, which is not compatible with the rest of the world, and struggles with standard networking (Microsoft arrogance trying to force their master plan). We live with standard networking that Microsoft tries to avoid.

Another machine is on Windows 8.1. I tried to upgrade to Win 10 but it would not support some of my older hardware such as printers and scanners (drivers not available for Win 10) so I went back to 8.1. 8.1 also wants to be on Home Group networking, but seems to support standard networking better. You must organize your data in the Microsoft assumed directory structure - not bad, but not what I would choose - I find it confusing, but my son says the confusion is just because I am getting old.

Since I am an old fart, I will conclude that my preference is for Win XP - but it doesn't support the touch screen on my Windows Surface Tablet.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to Win 10 from Vista. This was done by a "professional" who said I would not lose anything. I have found it to not be "user friendly".:( I lost all my e-mail contacts. :mad: Have no idea how to rectify that problem. :bang: I lost Picasa and do not know how to fix that. I do have all my pics but liked Picasa for recovery and making changes. There is no way I have found to add e-mail contacts. That is a major problem. As said before this issue and all of 10 is not, in my opinion, "user friendly". I liked IE and all of Vista and would go back if "IT" would let me.:type:

use windows 10 at work. No problems so far. Did have a problem with the upgrade. After the upgrade, PC kept dropping the network connection. Problem was fixed after I updated the NIC driver.

Like Darren, I use a software to bring back the "START" button. It is free.
http://classicshell.net/

I have two PCs that cannot be upgraded beyond XP for hardware reasons. They work great, but some vendors say their programs will not run on an unsupported operating system. I have a couple other machines that are still on XP for compatibility with the first two.

One newer machine came with Win 7, but it wants to use Home Group networking, which is not compatible with the rest of the world, and struggles with standard networking (Microsoft arrogance trying to force their master plan). We live with standard networking that Microsoft tries to avoid.

Another machine is on Windows 8.1. I tried to upgrade to Win 10 but it would not support some of my older hardware such as printers and scanners (drivers not available for Win 10) so I went back to 8.1. 8.1 also wants to be on Home Group networking, but seems to support standard networking better. You must organize your data in the Microsoft assumed directory structure - not bad, but not what I would choose - I find it confusing, but my son says the confusion is just because I am getting old.

Since I am an old fart, I will conclude that my preference is for Win XP - but it doesn't support the touch screen on my Windows Surface Tablet.

After my post yesterday about how I gave up Windows 10 and went back to 8.1, I was doing a routine update today and was warned that it would cost me $120 or $200 after today to give Win 10 another try. I checked the vendor for my antique printer/scanner and found that drivers are available for Win 10, so I pulled the trigger, and did the upgrade. Several hours later, this message is being sent from a Win 10 platform; the network works as before, and this time my peripherals also work.

If you never hear from me again, it is probably because my computer crashed and burned, but at this moment it is working well.