Getting ready to take a big step...

John Pollman

Hi all!

It's Thursday night and I'm winding down and getting ready to hit the sack. I have to work Friday and Saturday. I'm spending Sunday packing and mentally preparing myself for what may be a big step forward in dealing with my disease.

On Monday morning, I'm flying to the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD. I will be participating in a new study that will hopefully lead to a new treatment for Late Onset Tay-Sachs disease. This is the beginning of the first step of the study. This is pretty much data collection that will be used to develop outcome measures that are needed in order for the FDA to approve any kind of treatment.

This stage of the study will last about six months I think. The other ten or eleven participants and myself will be wearing data collection devices that will relay data back to the researchers. When this portion is done, they will hopefully have the treatment ready to test. It is pretty scary, because it is currently in animal testing. If that goes well, we will be the first people to try this treatment. It is going to be gene replacement therapy, that will hopefully at least slow the progression of the disease, if not reverse it.

As I said earlier, this is pretty scary. But somebody has to do it if we ever hope to find a cure. I am willing to give it a shot. It may be too late for me to be cured, but I'm hoping that the data I provide might help someone down the road in dealing with this horrible disease.

I'll be bringing my laptop with me and I'll post some updates while I'm in Bethesda.

Take care all, and have a great weekend!

John I hope you have a good trip and all outcomes are all good. It sounds like a promising study and good on you for going for it. I look forward to hearing how it goes. :wave:

John, you'll be right down the street from me. Are you staying in the hospital , Just remodeled. If you can get out you are welcome to come spend some time at the shop. We are 15-20 minute drive up the road.

John, what a big step! Congratulations on being courageous and willing to participate in this study. You and your fellow participants will be helping people far into the future that aren't even dreamed of at this time. I applaud you for your generous use of your time and body. May you have a wonderful trip and it become fruitful for you and the researchers. :thumb:

There is is some great work being done using gene replacement therapy. Kudos to you, John for taking this step. Lets hope the results are exciting.

Sending my best wishes for a successful study. :thumb: And as others have said, kudos to you for stepping up to the plate in an effort to help others with this disease. :clap:

John, you'll be right down the street from me. Are you staying in the hospital , Just remodeled. If you can get out you are welcome to come spend some time at the shop. We are 15-20 minute drive up the road.

Wow, that would be cool!

Actually, this trip is going to be pretty jammed with activities, and I'm flying in so I won't have a vehicle. But I will be back there in April I think for another round of testing. I'll be there for about five days and may drive down that time, so I'll have a vehicle. That time shouldn't be as crowded, and I'd love to come out and meet you!

Thank you all for the kind words. As I said, it is kind of scary, but somebody has to be willing to do the testing if we're ever going to find a cure. It might as well be me. :)