Multi-Tasking and Woodworking Don't Mix

I am so stupid...can you really believe I did this?

Well this past weekend I was working on my house. The guy was hauling gravel and it would take him about 20 minutes to make the trips. In between I would push the gravel over with my tractor and then have a few minutes in which I did nothing.

Well I have been working on a gun cabinet for the last few weekends so I thought I would use the time to get some stuff done on it. You know make the most of every second I had, as time is precious right now.

Well I went to route in a groove for the front glass. In between pushing over these piles of gravel, I got my router set-up and began to route the rabbit. Suddenly the bit began to sink lower and lower into the wood. Before I could shut the switch off, and after I pulled the router out of the wood, the bit went singing across the shop. Luckily it did not hit me.

In my haste to get stuff done...in my haste to multi-task, I had forgotten to tighten the bit. I know it sounds stupid, because it was. My mind was on gravel, while my hand were on wood. I know better and luckily I still have my fingers.

Stupid...stupid...stupid...

Glad you weren't hurt, or anyone else in the path for that matter. I'll hold off on the reminders, etc. as I'm sure you've already run through them all yourself. I do appreciate every time someone posts one of these events as they remind us all that any of us could "whoops" at anytime.

Glad you weren't hurt, or anyone else in the path for that matter. I'll hold off on the reminders, etc. as I'm sure you've already run through them all yourself. I do appreciate every time someone posts one of these events as they remind us all that any of us could "whoops" at anytime.

Sadly, "events" like that are what provide an income for my son. He is an emergency room physician and thinks I'm nuts for having a workshop. OTOH, he likes to climb mountains. I think he's nutser. Oh, well.