rush job for the god of the department

Dan Noren

Staff member
boy, if this isn't a rapid turnaround, i don't know what is. tuesday the god of the department and i were talking about stuff, and one thing went to another, and next thing you know, she's giving me a commission to make a golden birthday plaque for her daughter, who turns 15 on monday. that night, i did up the code and such in vcarve, and sent her pics of the 6 samples (easy enough to do, as all that needed to change was the font for the daughter's name). she let me know which one she liked on wednesday, and then changed the design (client, and supreme boss helps). originally a ellipse (used the right term), pocketed with her daughter's name raised, with text in a nice script above and below. now she wants it all flat, with a nice border (works for me, since it makes finishing that much easier. then i finalized the design last night. also yesterday morning, i planed and cut to size the white oak blank. when i got home, i hit it with the dye, and when i woke up again, hit it with the sanding sealer. today, it was cnc time. ran a full up test on mdf first, and found that i wasn't quite deep enough with the border, and a bit too deep with the lettering. after adjusting the respective depths, ran the good copy. some time tonight (after i've eaten), it will be a quick wipe on of the dark walnut gel stain, then the clear shellac. i hope to have it in her hands during the business day tomorrow. uff da! (oh yeah, i almost forgot, i am getting paid for this :D)

Attachments

• 001 white oak blank planed and trimmed to size.jpg
    001 white oak blank planed and trimmed to size.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 002 blank dyed.jpg
    002 blank dyed.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 003 blank with seal coat.jpg
    003 blank with seal coat.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 004 test in mdf.jpg
    004 test in mdf.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 005 milling done.jpg
    005 milling done.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
applied the gel stain. now to wait out the drying time. checked with our guru of restoration (dave h) about the next step, as he is very good at the next step. this next step will be applied after the first coat of shellac (after the sanding sealer) has dried.

Attachments

• 006 gel stain applied.jpg
    006 gel stain applied.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
picked up the gold paint, and had at it. worked out pretty good, but i think i should have gotten a smaller brush. now to drop it off with her, with the usual cautions about handling it.

Attachments

• 007 finished.jpg
    007 finished.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 9