So far, so good...

Roger Tulk

and is being evicted. To prevent further spread of infection amongst my toes, my doctor has decided the second toe has to go. We were discussing taking the fourth toe as well, but he wants to wait for more X-rays before making that decision. The amputation is scheduled for 10:15 Monday.I guess I'll go. If you are into praying, I"m praying this will be the end of the road for this process, although that fourth toe isn't looking too good. I'd like it to stop here, and not lose the foot,please.

I went for breakfast this morning, but I opted for the bacon, and not the sausages. Too close to home. I think my wife is worried that I may not be able to toe the line much longer...

Last edited:
Roger I'll pray for you.
My Aunt who lost an arm then brest cancer, she kepted a great jokingly attitude, " I know I'm getting to heaven, even if it is one part at a time"
I do miss her.
I hope your visits stop here also.

Roger, so sorry to hear about going in again for the loss of another toe. Best to get them off before the bad stuff gets farther though. Thoughts and prayers from here also my friend. Dry it and put it on a necklace, then it wouldn't be a complete loss. :doh::eek::chair:

So does this mean that the highest number you're going to be count to is 18??? :D:D:rofl:

You know the routine... 10,000 comedians out of work and I'm trying to be funny :wave::rofl:

Wishing you the best and sending all good vibes your way... like everyone else, hope this takes care of things and you heal well.

Roger, so sorry to hear about going in again for the loss of another toe. Best to get them off before the bad stuff gets farther though. Thoughts and prayers from here also my friend. Dry it and put it on a necklace, then it wouldn't be a complete loss. :doh::eek::chair:

Whe this is all over with, I am going to lern to ride a horse, even if I have to ride with a leg prosthesis. It's on my bucket list, and dammit, I'm going to do it.

Whe this is all over with, I am going to lern to ride a horse, even if I have to ride with a leg prosthesis. It's on my bucket list, and dammit, I'm going to do it.

I do not have a beginner horse at this time. Plan on having one next summer for Lou. When I get one, you are more than welcome to come ride with me on my farm.

Roger, here's a little story for you about a fellow I met as a teenager who I thought was pretty inspirational.

I was over visiting my grandparents, by this time there was a rode into the place but it wasn't uncommon to still take the trail over the mountain. The mountain trail was a fairly rugged 6+ miles over a 1300' high mountain pass. Some friends were coming over (announced over the radio.. heh no phone out there) and were bringing in some horses for some reason I can't remember. Bringing a horse trailer down the "road" wasn't something that was possible (it was a bit of an adventure even with a 4x4 at the time) so someone had to bring the horses over the pass. When the horses arrived the fellow leading them was in his mid 70's and was sitting tall in the saddle. When he got off, he was a bit stiff looking and said "can't ride quite like I used to, you folks mind if I take my leg off to rest the stump for a bit?".

Turns out he had been out on his trap line when he was around 70 or so (I might be off a year or two, maybe late 60's) and had hit a buried log and flipped his snow mobile out quite a few miles from the cabin. The snowmobile trapped and partially crushed his one leg against the log he'd hit and by the time his wife got some help out to him a few hours later they couldn't save it so it was amputated just above the knee.

Can't remember his name unfortunately but I still remember that as a case where if you really want to, you can do darn near anything.

You'll have no problems riding a horse, I'm sure of it :thumb:

Roger, here's a little story for you about a fellow I met as a teenager who I thought was pretty inspirational.

I was over visiting my grandparents, by this time there was a rode into the place but it wasn't uncommon to still take the trail over the mountain. The mountain trail was a fairly rugged 6+ miles over a 1300' high mountain pass. Some friends were coming over (announced over the radio.. heh no phone out there) and were bringing in some horses for some reason I can't remember. Bringing a horse trailer down the "road" wasn't something that was possible (it was a bit of an adventure even with a 4x4 at the time) so someone had to bring the horses over the pass. When the horses arrived the fellow leading them was in his mid 70's and was sitting tall in the saddle. When he got off, he was a bit stiff looking and said "can't ride quite like I used to, you folks mind if I take my leg off to rest the stump for a bit?".

Turns out he had been out on his trap line when he was around 70 or so (I might be off a year or two, maybe late 60's) and had hit a buried log and flipped his snow mobile out quite a few miles from the cabin. The snowmobile trapped and partially crushed his one leg against the log he'd hit and by the time his wife got some help out to him a few hours later they couldn't save it so it was amputated just above the knee.

Can't remember his name unfortunately but I still remember that as a case where if you really want to, you can do darn near anything.

You'll have no problems riding a horse, I'm sure of it :thumb:

That reminds me of a story my dad told... back in about 1948 or 1949, we were living in West Texas and working a farm there -- my dad was a share cropper in those days -- we were farming cotton and had close to 60 acres working... we pulled cotton by hand in those days also... to help with the harvest we had a family of itinerant workers that was working with us. My dad and the man of the family were both pulling 18 yard sacks down these mile long rows and pulling alongside each other so they could chat... they both worked on their knees to save the back as the cotton wasn't a lot over knee high anyway... Dad said he looked over and the guys feet were sticking straight up and he was dragging his heels.... Dad said he commented to the man about his feet sticking up and the guy looked back and said "Oh" and turned the both around to point down... seems he had stepped on a land mine in WWII and lost both about half way between the knee and ankle... he wore prosthetics on both legs... you couldn't tell by how he walked, but it was easier to work the cotton on his knees if the toes didn't drag in the dirt.
(One of the few times I think my dad was embarrassed.)

Years ago, when I tried to stay healthy by going to the gym, one of the physical trainers was a double amputee (hard to hide in gym shorts). He had the muscle groups of the lower leg painted on the prosthesis. He was agile enough that from across the room it only looked like funny socks -- you would never guess the legs weren't "real".

Hope it doesn't come to that... prayers for your surgery today

I do not have a beginner horse at this time. Plan on having one next summer for Lou. When I get one, you are more than welcome to come ride with me on my farm.

There's an offer you should accept, Roger, Jon having forgotten more about horses than most of us will ever know. I might even join you for a refresher course :thumb:

Best wishes for an uneventful procedure today and I hope that's the end of that unpleasant business.