StewMac Safety Planer

I've got one and have used it before. I thought it would be much scarier to use than it really was. Just need to make sure you have some good stock management going on.

What worries me is you say you have seen one before, but it has disappeared. I think it could be useful for certain purposes, but if it is one of those disappearing tools, you better get extra cutters when you first order it.

I don't have one and don't plan to get one... I do see potential for some frustration there... my drill press is a bench top from HF... the table is small and easily tilted... if the table is off even a degree....??

I have a bench top joiner that serves my purposes much better.

It's no substitute for a real planer for sure, but one place where it can come in handy is making a small quantity of very thin wood if you don't have a drum sander.

Apparently, this style planer has been around for a long time in luthier circles....known as the Wagoner Safe-t-Planer. The manufacturer retired in 2012. I don't know who is manufacturing them these days, but also found it here: http://woodworker.com/drill-press-p...HKqMAW0_g4raT33Klx8kNkTtZAzCONxHkIaAppo8P8HAQ

There's a lot of information on the luthier fora on use and set up. I'm gonna ask Santa for one. My drill press and band saw are the only tools in my shop that are use-able without moving a lot of stuff around and I seem to be doing more small work lately, so this might fit.

My main concern would be that you're side loading the drill press and MT tapers aren't known for liking that. The risk is that it can pull the taper out of the spindle and send the chuck and safe-t-planer skittering across the room.

I've seen a few reports of this happening, but it seems to be fairly rare and was likely from folks pushing the envelope of its cutting capabilities.

I would make sure that your chuck is very well seated in the spindle and maybe even consider taking a little bluing and seeing how well its seated[1]. Ideally you'd be able to use a draw bar to hold the chuck in place but that would generally require moving up to a mill drill (which while nice is $$$$'s). I'd also take parsimonious cuts to avoid putting to high of side load on it.

Having said that if you're doing a lot of fret boards or similar work these look handy as all get out. I kind of regretted not buying one before they last went off of the market, not because I had a specific use at the time but mostly for future options (or lets be honest.. a little tool hoarding).

[1]
The video on taper grinding from suburban tool has a nice explanation of how to blue the taper starting at about 13 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Y2BeoKC60

I've got to say, when I used mine, there was very little load or drama associated with using it. I'll admit I was quite nervous the first time, but it cut through things quite easily.