OK guys I need help

Chuck Hanger

Have a neighbor that just had a 3' chineese? elm cut down:) . Some beuiftul grain in the Y and burls. Says that I can have all that I want of the big stuf, burls and Y's:thumb: . Is this any good for turning:huh: ? Let me know as I have help coming in the morning (Friday) to help me get it back on the stump and block it out:dunno: . How do I block it???? I have sharp chains for my sthil 026 which will take care of the project, I think. Only have a 18" bar on it, but still think I can block it our if I knew it was worth the effort.
Thanks for your help,
Chuck

Chuck...should be good turning....IMHO ...any green wood is good turning even if you are just using it to get some practice .....If you want to make bowl blanks....you need some green wood sealer or some latex paint and seal it. Good luck and enjoy!

Looks like you have some "neighbors" in Illinois (link) who actually sell the stuff in lumber form. (Search for "Chinese elm" on their page.) So it can't be TOO bad!

Just curious - does the grain look anything like the Texas-based stuff on THIS PAGE? If so, I would say to grab up as much as you have drying space for!

As far as the "How To" ... check out Bill Grumbine's Sawing a Log for Bowl Blanks page.

Errr ... I just spotted another of Bill's pages, called Harvesting a LARGE Tree

Be safe!

Last edited:
Chuck Chinese Elm turns great. I have turned a ton of it. Really nice wood and grain. It wants to move some. I haven't had much trouble by roughing bowls and boxes out then soaking in DNA. Here are a 3 of my turning from Elm.

Attachments

• Elm Bowl 6.jpg
    Elm Bowl 6.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Elm Walnut Vase 4.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Elm Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Elm HF 6.jpg
    Elm HF 6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Elm HF 5.jpg
    Elm HF 5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Elm Bowl 8.jpg
    Elm Bowl 8.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Ken,
When you say to seal the green wood, do you mean the ends or paint the whole piece?:huh:
Kerry,
Yes this wood looks just like the Texas-based stuff. I split one of the "Y's" open with chain saw last evening. Looked just like the photo of the $25 piece. Thanks for the links;) .

Bernie that is some beautiful work:thumb: . How long in the DNA and where can I get it?
Thanks a million to all,
Chuck

Chuck....typically you seal the end grain and may be a couple of inches up around the sides....If you use latex paint ...let it dry and give it a 2nd coat...I have had better luck with water based wax green wood sealers but Bernie has had good luck with latex and I think I remember him using 2 coats.

OK, thanks Ken,
Now what do I do with these at this point:dunno: . Still about 10 times this over to be picked up:eek: :eek: Good thing that I have a very good neighbor (27 year old weight lifter) that helped me get this much. Had to cut the one piece in half.
What do I seal the chain saw cut with or do I?:huh: :dunno:
Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 14
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 12
For now, anywhere that is cut, not bark, seal it up.

If you have no paint, and have not picked up the end sealer wax stuff yet, use white glue, and mix it 2/3 glue and 1/3 water, make the water warm, not "Hot" but warm, it will mix into the glue easier. The paint it on, don't try to save any, just flood the cuts.

Great looking wood! :thumb:

Where to store:huh: Think that the wife just lost her parking spot in the garage.:rofl: :rofl:

Uh...Chuck......You really might want to rethink this.....YOU could lose the garage....the house.....the retirement check....the Social Security check...... You really might want to rethink this!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Where to store:huh: Think that the wife just lost her parking spot in the garage.:rofl: :rofl:

You are a braver man than me.:eek: I could have a great workshop if my wife didn't insist on parking her car in the garage.:dunno: I've parked my truck in the driveway for the last ten years so I can have half of the garage for my shop, but can't seem to get her to understand that it could be better if she'd park outside, too. But she sure is willing to come on my side to use the tools when she's in the mood to make sawdust. Oh well, at least she likes to work out there with me once in awhile. Guess that's a good thing?:huh: :dunno: :rofl:

.....Gord

Congrats on the wood haul, Chuck. These guys have already given good advice, so I'm just here to give you a pat on the back, and to remember what you look like before your wife beats you to a pulp with an elm log for filling her parking space. :rofl:

Not scared of wife. She still is after Ken, Bernie and Vaughn:crash: :crash: . By the time that she finds you guys she will be to tired to beat on me:eek: . Or at least I hope so. Should have heard her this evening when she opened the garage door and saw the attached photo

Attachments

• z445_430915_large.jpg
    z445_430915_large.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 10
You got it Kerry:thumb: . When she got home this evening and opened the garage door it was setting right in front of her. Have a Grasshopper also with a 4' snowblower. Think I am going to sell it. Bought it new in 1994 and the Kohler engine (20 HP) has been a total nightmare. My career was a mainteance manager, so I do not short change anything. If anything I am a over kill. Sorry about her luck though:rofl: :rofl: