Carol's House Build Thread

Met with Kevin, the civil engineer today. Mapped a plan for going forward. Got his bill! :doh: Got a septic install estimate. Lower than I thought it would be, but then it isn't in yet. Next up is the plot plan for the county. He does that. Then I draw the footprint of the house and elevations. I make a model and go to the solar guys. They help design the roof. Then a trip to the contractor for a building cost estimate, panel company structural engineer., and foundation contractor. In between, a visit to the loan broker who needs all this paperwork as well. Goal is to submit plans by the end of October. Very ambitious I am told, so we will see.

Kevin had a great idea. Since I have a 35' height restriction, I have room for a loft/deck on top of the house. It can overlook the tree canopy of the canyon bellow me. Cool! :cool:

Think I will will be meeting myself coming and going!

Lots to do and soon.

Last edited:
Carol, I got to thinking about your project the other day and thought about the winter weather was hold you up about the time you would be getting started...then I remembered....California doesn't have winter. :dunno: So, this will make a good winter project for us snow bound folks to watch.

Met with Kevin, the civil engineer today. Mapped a plan for going forward. Got his bill! :doh: Got a septic install estimate. Lower than I thought it would be, but then it isn't in yet. Next up is the plot plan for the county. He does that. Then I draw the footprint of the house and elevations. I make a model and go to the solar guys. They help design the roof. Then a trip to the contractor for a building cost estimate, panel company structural engineer., and foundation contractor. In between, a visit to the loan broker who needs all this paperwork as well. Goal is to submit plans by the end of October. Very ambitious I am told, so we will see.

Kevin had a great idea. Since I have a 35' height restriction, I have room for a loft/deck on top of the house. It can overlook the tree canopy of the canyon bellow me. Cool! :cool:

Think I will will be meeting myself coming and going!

Lots to do and soon.

That loft deck sounds like a wonderful idea. Would be similar to a so called widows walk near the coast. Would be an awesome place to wind down...

After catching up on your process to build, and all the paperwork you've completed, with what appears to be much more to come.

I have a question. Is the domicile going to be big enough to hold the paper work that's required to build this home? :huh:

Curious minds, or in my case simple minds want to know. :dunno::lurk::lurk::lurk:

Funny, Karl! I hope so.

Design is nearly done. Some roof details remain. Pictures soon.

Picked up door and window catalogs at Loews while I was out earlier today. So back to drawing house plans for a while. Beginning to like the design. Mediterranean with burgundy tile roof over creamy white stucco, French doors, and two decks so far; one off the kitchen and one off the second bedroom over the garage. No loft as I had enough height available for a full height room over the upper garage- ergo, the second bedroom allowed by the county. Won't have to sleep in the shop when I have guests. :D Even a small balcony on the front upper level with French doors opening into the living room, allowing sun and air in. Has good curb appeal to my eye thus far.

Discovered Styrotrim in the SketchUp warehouse. House will have some detail so as not to look like a plain jane. http://www.styrotrim.com/

Last edited:
have seen styro trim products in use.. you may have as well,, i think its a dollar store or target the 0ne that has a large crown molding arch above its front door.. that is all styrofoam up here then stucco over that i saw them building a new one up here and the pieces were huge but one man applied them with construction adhesive then the crew stuccoed over that. the one i saw was arched frnt with thick crown molding look

more

styro foam trim

Last edited:
I have attached the floor plan of th elower level of the house as I have it now. The outside lines represent the foundation walls and will not move. The arrows show stair. The top is north and there is a 10' overhead garage door there. South of the stairs is the stairwell going up stairs. Under those stairs will be walled in for dark dry storage. I expect the lower right 'room' to be propane furnace, air compressor, dust collector and air intake for the air handler of the earthtube system. Upper right will be mechanical and metal working area. The rest is woodshop. "Garage' area (required by the county) is assembly area. FWIW, hot water will be on-demand heaters upstairs and down.

Thoughts. And thinking about where to place the air cleaner.

Lower Level Floor Plan.jpg

Now see the stairs are not labeled. Middle left bump out is the mid level stair landing. HTH.

Oh, and why such a convoluted profile? The screwy lot shape dictates it.

Last edited:
Looking at your plan, I'd like to make a suggestion that might seem a bit minor. You show a swinging door on the 1/2 bath. A pocket door could be more efficient in that location. The reason I mention this is that we had some practical experience along that line in our home.

snoopy dance.jpg

Oh, yeah!

Took the house footprint to the county today. No issues. Have a green light. Next up is an appointment with the panel company engineer. There the actual plans can be drawn. Appointment is for the week after Christmas. YaHOO!