Just Some Quick Storage

Stuart Ablett

I recently moved some of the stuff around by my computer and I have this area that is kind of open, I need to make the best use of my space as it is so small.

Just a quick and dirty little pull out drawer unit.

IMG_1696.JPG

The bottoms of the draws will be 5.5 mm plywood, these will act as the runners, so I cut all my slots in the sides of the box in one go.

IMG_1697.JPG

The two sides of my box

IMG_1698.JPG

The back and some fronts to go

IMG_1699.JPG

Basically that's it done, just some finger holes and then install it

IMG_1700.JPG

Installed. The drawers are too high to look into, but with the bottoms acting as the runners, they come out easily and can be set on the bend to dig through.
Not a lot of everyday stuff will live in these drawers, but it is good to have the storage just the same.

Total start to finish took less than an hour.

Thanks

Last edited:
Letting the drawer bottoms act as runners works well for shop cabinets. It looks like the carcass is made from what we called "lumber core" back in the day. It should stay nice and straight. We haven't been able to get it here for many years.

Letting the drawer bottoms act as runners works well for shop cabinets. It looks like the carcass is made from what we called "lumber core" back in the day. It should stay nice and straight. We haven't been able to get it here for many years.
Yes I've used this design before, it is quick and easy for shop cabinets.
The wood is lumbercore and I hate this stuff for building cabinets, the is VERY soft and does not hold a screw well at all, but for the white melamine covered stuff it is the only option. I used up some scraps from making the workstation in the monitor room in the last office remodel, the stuff is expensive and I hate to just toss it.

Cheers!