It's not Friday but it's time to ride

Dave, you are just like my students, you forgot to listen, I said, "BE CAREFUL"!!!:doh:

Man I am glad to hear you are okay besides being broken a little bit. Nothing a good restoration guy can't fix!:(

Heal well my friend. Glad you are still on the top side of the turf.

So much for safety in numbers. Glad you only suffered minor structural damage, Dave. In reality, you are tempting fate every time you get on a bike these days......not because you are not a skilled rider, but because there are so many distracted knuckleheads out there, and then there's the rail road crossings, oil slicks and patches of loose gravel, etc. Sooner or later somethings gonna getcha. Just gotta weigh those risks against the fun/thrill of riding. Heal fast.

Last edited:
I've actually broken both collar bones in my life.
Once when I was still a little feller and crawled out of my, well, whatever you call the little prison cages you put little kids in to sleep at night. I crawled out over the top, fell off and broke it. Don't even remember that one.

The other one was in college skiing. Went off a little jump and for whatever reason both of my ski's detonated on take off and were not on my feet when I landed. I put my skis back on, grabbed my poles, quickly figured out one of my arms wasn't working right. Skiied down to the bottom of the hill and went to the hospital.

The next few months sucked as I waited for my collar bone to heal.

Neither of them healed straight and to this day I can feel where the bones 'kind' of met up and joined each other.

Heal fast Dave!

Oh, my!

Accidents happen, even despite our best efforts. Glad things were not worse.

Does this mean you will fly out with Shelly next year instead of riding your bike CA for the 2017 Gathering. :D

Ouch!

We'll have to lay off the funny jokes for a while, laughing with a broken collar bone is just slightly less painful than with busted ribs!

Hope you heal up well, adventures like this are never much fun.

I'm glad you are OK, I too broke a collar bone when I was in high school jumping my dirt bike, I hit a tree in midair and the bike landed on me. The ride home I saw a lot of white light and stars, boy that hurt, and the recovery, man that was not fun, no cast, they put me in the strap device that is like a board on your back and it pulls your shoulders back and up. Hurt to breath, and I've broken more bones than I can count, both legs multiple times, both arms several times almost all of my ribs, all of my fingers and thumbs, etc, but the collar bone break was by far the most painful recovery. I hope you don't have nearly as bad a break as I did.
Road street bikes for many years, rode fast on track days, had a couple of times when the bike and I parted company, but never any injuries, but on the dirt bike, well, yeah, I did a lot of damage.

Even on your Harley riding at sedate sane speeds you can certainly still get in trouble, recently a cycling buddy with years and years of experience riding on the road went over a small curb at a bad angle, it had recently rained and he lost it, went over the bars at maybe 20 mph, and he shattered his wrist and arm. Life is not going to be guarantied safe no matter what you do, so you should do what you enjoy and mitigate the risk the best you can.
Domo

Oh, my!

Accidents happen, even despite our best efforts. Glad things were not worse.

Does this mean you will fly out with Shelly next year instead of riding your bike CA for the 2017 Gathering. :D

Shelly does not ride so we will be flying. She has been great supporting me . But she is working today which is a good thing, I need to do for myself.

If I didn't have a helmet on it would be a very different outcome. All of the 10 riders had helmets on but 1.
When I was hit head-on by a car while on my motorcycle back in May the first thing the emergency people told me when they got to me was it was a good thing I had a helmet on. Probably saved my life for sure. My helmet has the scars to prove it too.
Only advice I can offer now it to sit back and let TIME heal you.

I don't ride, but would not ever thing about doing it without a helmet.... I had a young neighbor when I lived in CA that took a head on on his bike... he flew completely over the vehicle and landed head first... he was wearing a pretty good helmet, while it split along the crown, it saved his life... he did get a broken jaw and broken collar bone, but no other injuries.

Glad both of you guys used good sense and wore the helmets.