Storage sheds

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Last year I got a plastic storage shed from Costco and I like it a lot. Since I am beginning to accumulate stuff what with building the house. I decided another shed was in order.

So I get on Craigslist looking for a used one. Find one just like a I have, but a bit smaller. I check new prices and find the seller is out of line, so what the heck, make an offer and explain reasoning. Comes back with an inflated 'new' price from Home Depot. I check Home Depot. His Home Depot price is for some reason $400 higher than the online price. So I point that out. Tell him 'good luck.' He will need a buyer who does not do his/her homework.

So back on Craigslist. Find another one, 2 1/2' longer for $50 less than the first seller. Will go look at it tomorrow with money in hand. Pictures show this seller built it under a roof. Don't know what's up with that, but OK.

Also shows me they are imminently resalable. Total outlay much less than renting storage space.

Ain't life interesting?

I do have a few craigslist topics I check regularly but there are an awful lot of adds on there where it's a complete 'what the heck are they thinking' situation.

The one thing I've learned is that there's a lot of crazy out there, and a lot of people that are even crazier that I can generally imagine.

Well reading of your experiences Carol and Brent, i now feel a lot better about my thoughts and experiences locally.

Our best source for classified type ads is Kijiji . Well 90% of the time when i look up a tool or other stuff to buy used, i think my fellow Canadians are out of touch. Case in point was my tractor. I watched the guy start at $7000 had no idea what he was thinking.
All i have concluded is there must be equally crazy buyers out there to match the sellers, but if it was not a matter of a quick online search, then really i would not bother looking anymore it would be a waste of time.

Carol where are you managing to erect this storage ? On you lot?

Not on the lot, Rob. It would be in the way. This one goes up in front of the motor home and I will sell it when I move into the house.

With regard to crazy sellers. They do not do any homework before they set their price. Then they lock their brain and refuse to acknowledge that they are in a competitive market. So they wait for an equally brain-dead buyer. I suspect sometimes they get lucky.

I deal with a lot of physical and medical issues. Being brain-dead is not yet one of them.

Just sayin....:rolleyes:

Some people may be like my dad... since he owned it -- no matter how long he has had it or how much he used it -- if he owned it it must be more valuable than the run of the mill new stuff in the store... example, he had a pair of steel wedges that he bought in or around 1930 for $0.50... some one wanted to buy them and he was asking $25 for them... think he still had them when he died.

Have you considered a used marine container? Great secure storage if you don't mind the industrial look and easily re-sold. 40' and 20' units are standard, but there are 10' units too. Worth looking into. Just my 2.5 cents.

I bought the plastic one. I will disassemble it on Friday morning and move it here in pieces. I did not consider a shipping container because I live in a moblie home park. This shed matches one I already have. Easier for management to swallow a second shed. Afraid they would go nutso with a shipping contaner.

I did not consider a shipping container because I live in a moblie home park. This shed matches one I already have. Easier for management to swallow a second shed. Afraid they would go nutso with a shipping contaner.
I imagine they would!
Somehow I misunderstood and thought this was for secure storage on your own lot, in preparation for and during house construction.:doh:

I stopped by to put a deposit on the shed. Nice lady moving out of state. She had 5 other buyers lined up. Take a number, wait your turn. Doesn't look like I'll have a problem selling it when the time comes.

I'd love to have a small shed on the lot while we build, but there is no one place that would not get in the way. Lot is too small and we need all the room we can muster for materials, machines, and people to work. When all is done, I may keep one of the sheds for outdoor stuff storage. No point in cluttering up the shop with shovels and such! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTU_w3iw0w

Your comment reminded me of this from a few years back. I think the company went OOB, and I never saw a how to keep someone from driving off with your shed.

My storage sheds never ever ever ever look that neat....

Looks impractical to me... it's full of junk, you lay it down to tow it and every thing falls to the bottom of the now trailer and half of it breaks...

It depends on your uses. For the twice a year a friend wanted a trailer, this would have made sense as he could have pulled out the rakes and bbq stuff he stored in it otherwise. He lived in a HOA that allowed the sheds, but had issues with parking trailers/rv's/boats.
More the exception then the rule, but I found it of interest.