trophy rebuild project

Dan Noren

Staff member
yet another one from work! :D first, it was the supreme boss with the plaque for her daughter, then one of our tech guys wanted one for their third anniversary, another of our tech guys is trying to figure out how to spring the $50 fee for his anniversary plaque (stacked text at that), and now, thanks to the guy who got me involved with cnc stuff, who recommended me to a tech writer in our department, there is this golf trophy. originally, he was wondering if the finish could be duplicated on the original trophy, not a good idea, as we get only one shot to mess it up. along the way (this thing is over 20 years old), someone tried to add another board to it, for more space for name plates, and messed it up, even mismatching the routing on the new edges (roundover vs ogee bits). i asked him if they would be ok to remove the broken clubs and such (you'll see in the pic of the original), and make an all new backer board. he checked with the others (informal golfing bunch), and as long as it matched the old one, they were ok with it. so, with 4 parts of borg 1x6 pine, its off to the races. easy enough font for engraving, and short work for a 20 degree bit to just scratch out layout lines for the name plates. i figure that a good, strong tea stain to get it a golden color (worked for my rendezvous boxes), and then a coat or two of amber shellac should take it to the same color, or very similar.

ok, now i have pictures of what is happening with this one. got in the shop, and fired up the cnc, cut the name plate lineups. then taped over, and cut the lettering. after cleaning up the edges of the lettering, got the boards glued up and in clamps. then arranged the golf club parts on the board. tomorrow, it will be drilling the holes for the zip ties, sanding the entire board, and hitting it with the dye.

Attachments

• 001 original trophy.JPG
    001 original trophy.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 008 golf clubs laid out.JPG
    008 golf clubs laid out.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 007 glued and in clamps.JPG
    007 glued and in clamps.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 006 lettering done.JPG
    006 lettering done.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 005 start of lettering.JPG
    005 start of lettering.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 004 lettering board taped.JPG
    004 lettering board taped.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 003 start of second name plate board.JPG
    003 start of second name plate board.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 002 start of first name plate board.JPG
    002 start of first name plate board.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 31
did the finish sanding today. drilled the holes for the zip ties, and golf tees. routed the edges with a similar ogee bit, and hit it with the dye. tomorrow starts the shellac process.

Attachments

• 013 front and edges dyed.JPG
    013 front and edges dyed.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 012 back dyed.JPG
    012 back dyed.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 011 sanded and edges rounded.JPG
    011 sanded and edges rounded.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 010 holes drilled.JPG
    010 holes drilled.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 18
gave it the coat of amber shellac this morning, and the first of 2 coats of clear shellac tonight. one more coat of clear shellac, hit it with pledge, and a coat of clear shellac for the back, and it will be ready for adding the golf stuff back.

Attachments

• 014 coated with amber shellac.JPG
    014 coated with amber shellac.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 015 after first coat of clear shellac.JPG
    015 after first coat of clear shellac.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
hit it with the pledge today, and gave the back the coat of shellac. tomorrow it is clean out the holes, and add the golf stuff back. almost done!

Attachments

• 016 shellac on back.jpg
    016 shellac on back.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 017 front polished.jpg
    017 front polished.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 10
cleaned out the holes, and added all of the golf stuff back on the board. call this one done!

Attachments

• 018 finished a.JPG
    018 finished a.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 019 finished b.JPG
    019 finished b.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 020 finished c.JPG
    020 finished c.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 18