Red Oak Box

Dave Hoskins

I've been busy doing cake/display stands out of elm for one customer and Georgia and hackberry bowls for another in Mississippi. But, here and there I turn something else just so I can say I did. Today I did this box out of red oak. I like red oak and fortunately I have a lot of it. Well, maybe not a lot but a fair amount. Anyway I sealed the wood with my usual walnut oil and then finished it with my usual walnut oil/shellac mix. Heavy on the shellac. The outside diameter is 7" with the inside diameter at 4 1/4". The total height is 4 1/2" and it has a vessel depth of 2". The inside follows the outside curvature fairly well. The volume of the box is 2 cups. I think that could be considered a fair amount of M&M's. Right? :rofl: Anyway I hope you like it!

Nice, I've only had a few pieces of red oak. A couple of years back Local farmers were cutting up a tree that had fallen across the road and I happened along as they were throwing it in the ditch... I got two or three logs about 3' long each and about 8" diameter... really liked the way it turned.

Does your box have a compression lid or does it just sit on top... personally I don't try for compression lids as wood moves the lids will stick.

Hi Chuck! I just do lids that sit. I do a slight insert so it doesn't slide around. I turn them so there is a little bit of play, but not a lot. Just in case humidity swells the wood a bit. I have never tried a compression lid. Actually, never even thought about one. After what you said I will probably never do one. Nothing like having a lid get stuck. AWK!!!