LOMLs Secretary

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Bobbie inherited a secretary from her grandmother a few years ago. The best we can determine, it's around 100 years old. Her grandmother had received it through her mother. Bobbie remembered it being in her grandparent's home when she was a young girl. It had some decorative wood strips on the windows that deteriorated over the years and kept breaking apart. Her grandmother helped it along a little as pieces separated. Finally, all of the strips were gone except a few that were left to keep the glass from rattling.

Below are a few pieces of the original strips that appear to be a three-ply assembly.

SecWinDec_00.jpg

We researched similar secretaries online and found several of the style we have. All had similar wood decoration on the windows, so that gave me a starting point.

My first step was to layout the pattern within boundaries I created in SketchUp. That allowed me to determine the number and size of the strips. The cabinet itself appears to be mahogany but I decided to use cherry for the strips because I have a lot of off-cuts and it was to receive a dark stain anyway.

I milled some pieces to 1/2" thick, then cut strips about 3/16" from them on my bandsaw. Next, I ran them through my drum sander to take them to a fat 1/8".

SecWinDec_01.jpg

I decided the best way to join the pieces was with half-laps, so I set up a 1/2" flat bit in my router table. After determining the locations of the dados, I batch cut the strips as needed.

SecWinDec_03.jpgSecWinDec_02.jpgSecWinDec_04.jpg

Fortunately, all of the pieces fit together pretty well. After glue-up, I let them set up overnight, then ran the assemblies through my drum sander to smooth the joints and filler where I had to use it in a few places.

SecWinDec_05.jpg

I made my own color of oil-based stain using some brown mahogany and ebony mixed for the first layer. Then, I added some red mahogany for the next layer. After giving the stain a couple of days to dry, I hung up the assemblies to spray some rattle-can lacquer on them.

SecWinDec_07.jpg

Here's the before and after appearance of the secretary.

SecWinDec_11a.jpgSecWinDec_11b.jpgSecWinDec_12.jpg

Momma's happy, so now we all be happy now!!!

:)

Very well done. The pieces left sure weren't enough to figure out the pattern, but what you chose sure looks good.

I can see that you use nearly the same spray booth that I do (easily expandable to any size needed). :D

Charley

Nicely done Bill:) color looks great also. How did you get the pattern? Old pics or just a great creative mind?

Very well done. The pieces left sure weren't enough to figure out the pattern, but what you chose sure looks good. ...

Thanks, folks!

Here's one of the secretaries we found at an online site:
s-l1600.jpg
All I did was work out the dimensions based on measurements of our unit.

... I can see that you use nearly the same spray booth that I do (easily expandable to any size needed). :D

Charley

It sure works good for a some of spraying, but I need to re-do my inside spray area for bug control!

Nice job Bill. Does the secretary part of the piece get used,
Its an interesting piece all round, to have combined what may also have been 3 stand alone pieces in some houses back in the day. Kind of speaks to an efficient use of space and furniture.
We have a couple of chest of draws and the tops end up being junk collection spaces.
Then you think of space and location for a desk to work at and i bet in many houses its the dinning/ kitchen table.
And in my Dads house the "curios" cabinet was full of stuff acquired for no reason over time which gave the illusion of some valuable collection (bit like my stamp collection) which in reality was worthless junk. We funny critters when one thinks of the stuff we horde.
Critters horde food at least that makes sense.

Interesting piece for sure,

Bill how is the fold down top supported on your wifes version?
Are one of the draws used? or are there some long folding hinges?
The online pic seems to have a couple of slide out supports.

Thanks, guys!

Nice job Bill. Does the secretary part of the piece get used,
Its an interesting piece all round, to have combined what may also have been 3 stand alone pieces in some houses back in the day. Kind of speaks to an efficient use of space and furniture.
Bill how is the fold down top supported on your wifes version? ...

The secretary is used for storage of a few items but not as a writing surface.

This one is one piece. I've seen them made with the 'secretary' part sitting on a lower drawer section, then with a display cabinet above.

Great job, Bill - and really nice color match.

On the pull-down writing surface, I don't see any lopers (pull out supports for it). are there any, or are they hidden?

No lopers on this version. There are pivot type hinges on each side with arms extending about 4" each direction. The inside edge of the door rests against the cabinet.