Possible new shop

william watts

Except for the stationary tools my other tools are all packed up and put into storage in preparation for a move to Sacramento,Ca.where my wife has family. Sac. Is only 60 miles away but that doesn't make packing any easier. We are getting our house ready to sell and looking for another, very busy. So no woodworking for awhile.

The Tuff Shed in our present back yard looks to be standard construction with 2x4 studs and plywood siding, and asphalt shingles, the floor looks on the thin side at 3/4 ply. I am wondering if a Tuff Shed would make a decent work shop at the new place. Probably one in the 250 sq ft range sitting on a concrete pad. Would electrical be able to be installed, including two 240 volt outlets in this structure and several 120 volt outlets? Tuff Shed said they make a good shop, but will not have anything to do with electrical, that makes me wonder why. Has anybody done this, why not?

Bill

I think the reason the Tuff Shed guys won't have anything to do with electrical is because they are not licensed electricians and the liability to them would be high. No reason for you to not put in electricity. Follow the code or hire an electrician, but the building will not be a limitation.

Thanks Carol, and Darren. Looks like Tom had a time trying to maneuver that shed into place, but the Tuff Shed arrives prefab and is assembled on site, avoiding access problems.

Carol must be right, as I look at the construction it looks like standard stick built work, no reason electric couldn't be added. I must have misunderstood what the salesmen was saying, wouldn't be the first time.

Bill

I have a 10 x 12 Tuff shed sitting on the cement and some shims. I think it is a great shed for the money. If I had a flat spot I would put in another. however because California land can be expensive, a large part of mine goes downhill at a 45* angle.

Just remember you will, unless otherwise contracted for, buy a basic shed. There is no skin inside of those studs, there is no insulation, really heavy machines are going to need a little boost in the floor structure; ask the sales person about the floor loading.

With only a vent in each gable I am amazed at how cool it is compared to the outside temp. I did have it painted pale yellow and the shingles are almost white to reflect sunshine. I do not have any windows in the shed and I am very glad I do not. For illumination I have two 8 ft. fluorescent lamps. They light up the shed like high-noon. The roof/ceiling is lower than a in a home so you have to watch what you put up there.

The roof is the ceiling in my shed. The pitch is less than any home around here. I have plenty of head room (unfortunately there seems to be plenty of room IN my head) and even Glenn can wander around in the shed without banging his head. However, you probably will not be able to work with your back next to a wall except at the gables.

Watching the two men build the shed was like watching a choreographed dance routine. One time guy "a" was down on his knees working, almost facing away from buy "b." He didn't even look up, just stuck his hand out and the block that "a" had already thrown went right into his hand. I wonder how many times they had assembled these things.

The shed has had no leaks and no settling. My slab had a definite slope to it. I was working with clay at the time and I wanted to be able to hose it off. They compensated for that quite easily. One corner of the slab was mitered so one corner of the shed was left to hang out in the air. That corner was down 4" to the ground. The men took care of those problems easily.

I am a happy camper with my shed. I use it for storage. If you want pics, let me know.

Enjoy,
JimB

Plans change when your thinking of moving. Our realtor found a house with 3 car garage, room for two cars and a shop! Our offer was accepted and we are going thru the inspection process. without any glitches we are looking at an early dec. move in date. No out building required:) the house is smaller than what we have now, but the the kids are out other own and smaller is better. There is a 40 year collection of "stuff" to clear out, a lot things whose only value is sentimental, but sentiment has a value and I don't want to hear "you threw away my ------" years after the fact. The entire extended family has had an opportunity to take what ever they want , but still leaves "stuff"to move or toss.

Thanks to all for the tips. Still need a shed for the gardening tools, but won't need electricity, heat, 240 volts, etc. Still not woodworking:(

Bill

Good news indeed. I know full well what you mean about "stuff" to throw out. The last 2 times we moved I found unpacked boxes from the previous move (hadn't even been opened). Rented a 12 yard roll-off and filled it up.