Awesome Hand Rail

Leo Voisine

To me, I do NOT see this as a violation in woodworking.

I see this differently.

1) The complexity of the shape
2) The complexity of the 5 axis machine
3) The motions of the axis's
4) The table lift in the end segments
5) The skills in programming
6) The fixturing
7) The operating and setup of the machine
8) The cutter design
9) The accuracy is the piece being made
10) And of course the wood

I can appreciate and enjoy the efficency and the accuracy of the machine, and the repeatability is also to be considered, but to me it isn't woodworking. It is more of a production capability that the woodworking industry is moving towards. Robots and CNC's are here to stay but they will never replace hand craftsmanship in my personal opinion. Like it or not we live in a cookie cutter society and that is what these machines do best.

Charles,

I totally agree with you. Machines will never replace hand craftsmanship. The hand saw, chisel and mallet, card scraper, hand plane, gouge, rasp, file, egg beater drill and all the rest of the "traditional hand tools, are skills of the hands. Some would even argue that sandpaper does not belong in the traditional hand woodworking group.

Even band saw, table saw, compound miter saw, jointer and planer are a compromise and could possibly be said that, THAT is not "real" woodworking. After all how could one compare the skill required to use a #7 Stanley and a set of winding sticks as compared to a 8" Grizzly electron burner.

That is not what I am saying here, not at all. I am NOT comparing what is woodworking and what is not.

I am simply saying, the machine and the skills to make the machine work and make the wooden object is impressive to me. But then, so is the hummingbird that a hand carver makes, or the carvings that Toni does. I don't have the skills for either, but I would love to learn the machine, before the hand carving.

I am not minimizing - OR - maximizing anything here. I just really like the complex machining of things.

I agree with you Leo, The shapes these machines can turn out is really amazing, and it takes a person trained in that area to write the programs and all of the other things that go into this. I am fasinated by them and really enjoy watching them operate, and what you do is also very interesting, and I enjoy seeing your work.

It's all wood working. No matter how it's arrived at. The little machines or big machines all contribute to the creation of beautiful wood pieces.
Personally I love the grain,knots and character of the wood itself. That is where it's at.
David

Well there is working with wood and there is woodworking. I do know that I don't have the ability to make that part with cnc or hand tools though :(

Sorry Leo, I remain unconvinced. But you still make the best stuffed quahogs I've ever had :D

I do know that I don't have the ability to make that part with cnc or hand tools though :(

:rofl: That was my thought. I watched it and thought to myself CNC or no CNC that ain't happening here! :rofl: So there is certainly a lot of talent involved in programming it as well.

One of the book I recently read (I read a lot.. shocking I know..) actually described the layout of multi-curve staircase rails. It was really interesting and surprisingly complicated because you need to have a smooth transition so the layout is really tricky. They were doing it all with manual layout and hand tools... I should find that and re-read it.