Frame and panel methods

Jeff Horton

I have several projects in the works that will use frame and panel construction. Arts and craft style so square corners, no ogee edges. I have made these in the past just using the table saw and a dado blade. It works but what I hate is when you have to go back and make one piece you forgot. Set up can take so long for one piece.

Thought I would look at other options and see what suggestions you guys had.

One thing on my list is using the shaper. I have one in my shop I need to restore. Mechanically I think it's pretty good. Cosmetics is another story! But I could restore it in a couple of weeks of hard work. I am thinking it might be the ideal machine for this project.Pretty simple to set up and adjust and I don't have to break it down once I get it set up.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Jeff I can't really add much because I think you are on the right track, and from your posts I think you are vastly ahead of my skill levels. To that end however, have you ever looked into using a horizontal router table set-up?

I saw an ad for one in wood magazine a lot and I am convinced I could easily build one. I say that as a Machinist, but I think they are buildable out of wood or metal. Of course you could also purchase one if you had the means.

Overall though, I think this use of a router would be perfect for a simple raised panel set up. I am not downing your shaper rebuild, it certainly would be great to have up and running anyway, but thought I would reply with this just to get you and others something to think about.

Any ideas or comments on using a horizontal router to make panels?

Actually that is probably not a bad idea. I have seen a couple of good plans for something like this. I am just not much on routers. I have a couple and I use them. Just not one of those machines I am fond of.

jeff, the shaper would be my first choice. if you plan on just using stub tennons off the shelf tooling will work well but if you intend to do tennons of any length you`ll need either a tennoning disc or a punched out dado set to put the carbide far enough away from the spindle to give you the length. then you`ll need a carriage to do endgrain work......a miter gauge kinda works, but with 6-8" of spinnin steel i like something a little stouter than a miter gauge.....the fastest way for you right now would be the tablesaw with a tennoning jig......just make extra parts while you`re set up....tod

Thanks Tod. Just stub tenons for now. I have been thinking about starting the restoration on this shaper for a few weeks now. This gives me good reason to go ahead and do it. I think it is going to be easy job. Just looks like heck now! Will have to post some photos once I get started.