not a vase I wanted

allen levine

Im not supposed to be in the shop working, I have a bad cold and my ear is getting involved, but boredom, oh boy.
so after elen went to class this morning, I went out turn a vase for her out of my firepit wood.
I glued up some pieces of Spanish cedar, which I discovered didn't turn well on the edge grain the long way.
It broke apart and I ended up with a much smaller vase not the shape I wanted.
live and learn.
then I whipped out the drawknife, she spokeshave, the planes, tried to make some kind of flower, ended up looking on the internet and decided to use the plane and hot glue together shavings to make wooden roses.
me using a Clifton #4 to make shavings is like giving a 16 y/o pizza delivery kid a Maserati to make deliveries.
I even broke out the water stones and did a bit of sharpening.

the pictures show the end results of yesterday afternoon and today till 12:30, when the paint dries better Ill respray and glue the roses on the sticks.

you can make fun of it if you want, you wont hurt my feelings.

oh, Ive never hollowed out a narrow piece before, impossible with the tools I have. I put a drill chuck in the lathe and used a 1 inch bit to drill out the inside, then rounded out the top area with a chisel.

Attachments

• roses 015.jpg
    roses 015.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 48
  • roses 012.jpg
    roses 012.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 46
  • roses 008.jpg
    roses 008.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 42
  • roses 007.jpg
    roses 007.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 45
  • roses 003.jpg
    roses 003.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 41
  • roses 002.jpg
    roses 002.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Interesting project - with really nice results! I like the roses. I may even attempt copying them.

As for the reindeer - I've been thinking the same thing. I've made them in several different sizes over the years, depending on the scrap wood I've had on hand. This years may end up being cherry and maple.

Interesting project - with really nice results! I like the roses. I may even attempt copying them.

As for the reindeer - I've been thinking the same thing. I've made them in several different sizes over the years, depending on the scrap wood I've had on hand. This years may end up being cherry and maple.

my next trip out west, Im bringing along 3 of my planes, hoping you can give them a bit of a sharpening. I might have it pretty sharp, but I really don't know what super sharp is.

I really like the roses. :thumb: And as for hollowing out a vase with a drill bit, I think that's how I've started (and in many cases finished) all of mine. I've made quite a few that had a glass liner similar to a test tube. They work great for a single stem flower like a rose or tulip.

Great project!! You may have not wanted to go that way but that what was in the wood and it told you so. Got to follow what's in the wood.
David

Hey those roses are a treat, very neat project indeed there.

Hollowing deep and narrow is a challenge for anyone imho, I've done a couple pieces but they were all white knuckle and not nearly as nice as I'd like so what you have works plumb good for me. The other big problem I have is taking too much off of the base which leaves them to heavy which you wisely avoided.