If I never work in my shop again..........................

As the title implies, if I never work in my shop again, all of the money, sweat, worries were paid in full today. CJ and I reworked a free standing Santa for his mom (Fina). Half of the circular base was missing, we used the cordless impact to take out the screws, I showed him how to trace around the half we had and then flipped the board so he could trace the missing half of the circle. Using a jigsaw and explaining why we wore safety glasses and if he kept both hands on the handle of the jigsaw he couldn't cut his fingers off. We clamped the board and he cut the circle out! Then we took off one of Santa's arms, actually the only one he had and CJ traced the arm on a board and again we clamped and he cut using the jigsaw santa a new arm. So then we had to get the cordless drill out, drill two holes for the base to screw onto santa and drill a hole in his new arm to attach it to santa. Then to the impact again to tighten the two screws on the base and then learn how to not tighten the two arm screws so the arms still move. MAN WHAT A DAY IN MY SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: I don't really know who was prouder. (I am sure it was me!) So we laid out a couple of boards for him to cut next time he is here for Christmas presents for his mom and dad. I'm liking this if it doesn't show through this post. Just thought I would share my most fabulous shop day!

I thought i heard a few shirt buttons wiz by me yesterday. No doubt they popped of your shirt during an expanding proud chest moment.

Well done!

What......? No pictures :eek: Sounds like you had a great time!

Nope, don't carry cell phone when at home. We were busy!

That's what I said ! Sounds like they were both having too much fun. An excellent grandfather moment neither one will forget.

Ashleigh was telling Lou Ann in the house "but maamaw, I can work in the shop too!!" So later this winter she will get to come in and do something.

That's awesome Jon !!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought so and glad others realize the feelings I had going on!!

That is a awesome feeling. Good on you to share and teach. Grandchild will always remember the day. David

That is my hope. Making memories.

I thought i heard a few shirt buttons wiz by me yesterday. No doubt they popped of your shirt during an expanding proud chest moment.

Well done!

Coat and shirt buttons both!!!!!!

Very cool Jon. Hope to see some pic's .....soon

At the time, I am busy keeping fingers where they should be so they stay where they are supposed to be!!

I just don't think it could get any better than that! Absolutely fantastic. I know you were having way too much fun for the photos. Understand that. :thumb:

You got it exactly!! To busy. One interested young 'un is just fantastic!!

Thanks all for understanding my gloating!!

Fantastic !

I agree completely!

Those make the best days and memories:)

Sure made my past crappy week disappear instantly!!

What Rennie said, plus an awesome or two!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks, awesome was a word that kept running through my head also.

Sounds like you an CJ had a great day together! You just can't beat that type of interaction!!!

Lou and I do a lot with the grandkids, this summer has been busy with the new ponies, riding and driving. But this is a whole new level. Now it will force me to get my stove installed so we can work all winter uninterrupted.

Sounds like you both had a great time Jon, did a little of that yesterday ourselves. I'm learning that once Gunner has a chance to use one of my tools they seem to get put into his tool box when the job is done. :)

I wish I could say the same about my two nephews. UNfortunately they are hooked on video games. A couple of times I tried to lure them into making something and once I convinced and helped the younger one to make his own tool crate as I gave Him some tools that I had duplicate. That was about 4 years ago. Now he is 14 and nothing since then. :(

Last edited:
And that is why I luv this forum...lol...not only do you get to read heart warming stories, but every now and then... one grandpa teaches another grandpa something he never thought about...reading that story I got to thinking man how many times over the years have I used a jig saw with one hand on the saw and the other on the wood I was cutting, even if it was clamped down...that one line "if he kept both hands on the handle of the jigsaw he couldn't cut his fingers off" gonna be using that one in the future...never to old to learn...lol..thinking my old shop teacher couldn't used that advice too

Last edited:
Sounds like you both had a great time Jon, did a little of that yesterday ourselves. I'm learning that once Gunner has a chance to use one of my tools they seem to get put into his tool box when the job is done. :)

Yes we did. It was the right time and perfect short project. He has plans on making his mom and dad each signs for their Christmas presents.

I wish I could say the same about my two nephews. UNfortunately they are hooked on video games. A couple of times I tried to lure them into making something and once I convinced and helped the younger one to make his own tool crate as I gave Him some tools that I had duplicate. That was about 4 years ago. Now he is 14 and nothing since then. :(

Oh CJ loves his truck racing games. But it has created a great eye hand coordination that I noticed in the shop. And hey Toni, someone asked him a couple of weeks ago to see his muscles after helping me stack a load of firewood. He bent his arm and pushed up his muscle and looked at me and said, "remember that Toni showed me that!", yep CJ, I fondly remember that weekend with all of our family friends.

I still remember days like that with my granddad. :thumb:

I remember my maternal grandfather helping me make a set of sawhorses for my dad for Father's day. It was a great time for me, don't know if it was for him as that was the only project we did. :eek:

And that is why I luv this forum...lol...not only do you get to read heart warming stories, but every now and then... one grandpa teaches another grandpa something he never thought about...reading that story I got to thinking man how many times over the years have I used a jig saw with one hand on the saw and the other on the wood I was cutting, even if it was clamped down...that one line "if he kept both hands on the handle of the jigsaw he couldn't cut his fingers off" gonna be using that one in the future...never to old to learn...lol..thinking my old shop teacher couldn't used that advice too

Glad to help. Do have to confess, I also hold the wood even if clamped and use the jigsaw with one hand. But at school find myself making sure all fingers are where they belong so they stay where they belong. Now at home have to really watch myself (which is a good thing). Yep, he has his own set of safety glasses by the door to put on when he comes in the shop.

Jon,

You are the greatest!!! Sounds like CJ has a head start on becoming the same.

Enjoy,
JimB

Well, I don't know about the greatest part, but thank you for the kind words. I feel we did well and are still doing well with our two daughters and helping by being available and a positive asset in raising the grandkids is just wonderful. I read a saying somewhere a long time back, "grandkids are your rewards for not killing your kids when they were teenagers!". (that is a joke and meant as a joke to those that don't know my sick sense of humor)