5 axis CNC machining for the home shop

Leo Voisine

Here is the best example of 5 axis machining that is doable in the home shop that I have seen yet.

The 4-5 axis table is within the reach of a shop build.

I found some 5 axis programming software at a reasonable cost - I will be looking into this software.

This is DEFINITELY of my to do list.

Yes add a 5-th axis has always been my plan.

I was hoping to find software within financial reach to be able to handle REAL 3-4-5 axis work.

Though the Deskproto is a little limited is making a 5 axis move simultaneously it can index to the axis positions and use 3 axis movement.

I just watched a few youtube vids and a tutorial. Looks really good. It is CAM only - NO CAD features. I may also go to Rhino in a few years for the REAL 3D CAD. I don't think sketchup can give me what I want.

I am seriously thinking I will do it. The hobby version is $333. That is a downright BARGAIN in the CAM world, particularly in multi axis.

Aspire, and all the Vectric stuff is fantastic, but very weak in anything beyond 2.5 axis. I will still be using it, BUT, the Deskproto is definitely much stronger is the full 3D world.

Oh yeah baby,

This is gonna happen.

I downloaded the trial version and right off - I CAN import my 3D Osprey model. THAT - did not happen in Aspire. I could NOT get any facsimile of the model into Aspire.

Osprey.jpg

I just played around in the trial version and was able to setup the rough toolpath to
rough out the osprey on the rotary.

One test I like for software is if I can get in there and do something without a lot of training and a lot of fussing.

So far, this looks like a winner.

I cannot get a simulation as it is not available for rotary work.

This is going to open a whole new world for me.

Osprey toolpath.jpg