Making of the Osprey

Leo Voisine

OK, I am fully convinced that Deskproto can fulfill my need for full 3D work.

One driving force for me is that I wanted to call my machine Osprey. I think they are majestic birds of prey.

I searched the internet for a model last year and a cyber friend found one for me. I have tried to figure out how to machine it in Aspire, but without some MAJOR reconstruction I decided that Aspire just cannot do it.

I looked at Rhino and RhinoCAM - which is totally capable, but far beyond my financial ability, at this time. I need to sell a couple of thousands of dollars to get that.

Not entirely sure how I landed on this one, Deskproto, but it is good. It is a Netherlands based company and they get good reviews. I am definitely going to buy it with the proceeds from selling my Larken CNC machine.

So - with all that said, I am going to embark on the making of the Osprey.

This is going to be a very slow project, as I don't "NEED" this, but I do "want" this. I will work through the trial version as it is FULLY operational, until I buy the license.

Part of the inefficiency that Vectric is superior at is the toolpath preview. DeskProto has better machining strategies, but only lines of toolpath. I can get past that.

The material is a 8" diameter cylinder and 30" long. That will "just" fit my rotary axis.

This is a HUMONGOUS amount of machining time. Something in the tune of 100 hours or more.

I may paint it - or not. It is going to sit proudly on top of the machine when completed.

With all the other stuff on my table this may well be a year long project.

So just watch for the posts if you are interested.

Osprey.jpgOsprey progress-1.jpgOsprey toolpath.jpg