Multi-tools

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Every year I get myself a little Christmas gift. Since I am driving many more miles these days, I though a quality multi-tool to have in the car would be a good idea. Sort of a Swiss Army knife tool box in one hand thingie. Seems there are multiple brands and 'accessories.' Would like a pliers, knife, and screwdriver at the minimum. ot trying to break the bank, but also not trying to do this on the cheap either. Looking for value for the buck.

Care to offer suggestions on what I might shop for?

I'm a big fan of the Leatherman Wave and Surge.

I used to carry the Wave all the time, but shifted over to the surge, as it's a little bigger and more robust.

Leatherman Wave

Leatherman Surge

What I like about them is that you can open the plain and serrated blades one handed.

I've carried one of the other on my belt day in and day out for a very long time. At least 20 years.

I hate to go traveling by plane because I feel like I'm missing something without them.

Don't know if they make them anymore, but I have had a Spyderco Spyderench for abut ten years now, keep it in my glove box, works great. Cresent only goes to about 9/16, and the knife is scary sharp, also has pliers and a bit set. Really like that it can be separated and use the bit in one half and the cresent in the other. If I remember right it was in the $60-$70, but that was back in 2005 or 06 some where around then..

41D7j0E931L.jpg

I've carried a tool set similar to the one Scott posted in my vehicles forever. I probably have only used it two or three times in all those years. For me, the best tool to have in my vehicle when I travel is my AAA Card.

I own an original Leatherman, as well as a discontinued model Gerber multi-plier 650 (for which I keep my eyes out for the other plier heads). I found that I seemed to need a different head pliers then what I had, when I needed it. (why I bought the one with replaceable pliers) I almost never use either, and go for regular tools, or my EDC pocket knife. I much prefer to just have some sort of tool, with the glass break part and the seat belt cutter handy in the vehicle. (as well as a portable real tool box)
I recommend handling them as I found the Gerber to be bulkier (before the separate pliers model), as my relatives use a belt pouch for them, where the Leatherman would fit in my pocket. But once I started dealing with entering places where I couldn't have one on me, they stayed in vehicles. Only one relative still carries and uses theirs.

Leatherman Wave, every day, unless I'm flying. The only small shortcoming I've found about it is the lack of a #2 Robertson screwdriver tip.

The latest versions of the leathermans have a replaceable screwdriver bit. You can get sets of bits for them that include the robertsons bits.

leatherman bits.png

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-9...rd_wg=x9BEP&psc=1&refRID=K94PGA69YF94PEHDQTBH

I'm sure the next person to own this house will curse me as I get my screws from McFeely's and use the square drive robertsons on everything. I actually prefer the square drives, even though I'm not Canadian! :rofl:

Last edited:
The latest versions of the leathermans have a replaceable screwdriver bit. You can get sets of bits for them that include the robertsons bits.

View attachment 97883

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-9...rd_wg=x9BEP&psc=1&refRID=K94PGA69YF94PEHDQTBH

I'm sure the next person to own this house will curse me as I get my screws from McFeely's and use the square drive robertsons on everything. I actually prefer the square drives, even though I'm not Canadian! :rofl:

Like we curse those slipping Phillips!:rofl:

I've seen those sets of bits Brent, but where would I put it? I suppose I could upgrade and leave the Robertson fitted, but I'd have to put my old standby (to which I'm very attached) on the sidelines. I had the original leather case re-stitched last year. It's just getting a nice patina. Debbie says I'm getting set in my ways, but I don't think so ;)

The sheath for the surge has a couple of eleastic pockets on the side. I don't carry extra bits in mine, but I carry extra blades, since you can swap out the files and saw for different ones on the surge.

But I should carry some extra bits and I think I'm going to start doing it. Makes sense.

leatherman_sheath_new.jpg

Mine is getting a bit of a patina to it, LOL
leatherman_sheath_mine.jpg

I started with an original Leatherman 30 or so years ago when they first came out. Carried it daily for years. These days my go-to is the the Victorinox Swiss Tool. I think mine is the RS model. I like that everything can be used without opening the pliers, and all the blades and other tools lock into place.

I like the looks of the Spyderco tool Mark posted, but it looks like it's no longer being made.

Scott's suggestion of the set of Harbor freight tools has merit, but then again you end up with a set of Harbor Freight tools. I regularly curse the HF screwdrivers and adjustable wrenches I own.