Corbel 4 Shelf

Leo Voisine

It's hard to determine when something is a general flatwork gallery item or a CNC gallery item.

Tools used to make this

Band saw - resaw 1" oak down to 1/2 inch
Table Saw
SCMS
Upright belt sander
Router table
ROS
Block plane
Hand sanding
Hand file
Hand knife
Battery drill
Rattlecan stain
Rattlecan Deft Lacquer
Rattlecan paint
Design software - Vectric
And yes, CNC router.

Materials are
1/4 thick PVC
1/2 thick Red Oak - from trees in my yard

I wanted to make some Corbels and this is my first go at it. Really pretty simple 2D design. I pirated a picture I found online. I traced in Vectric, then spent a number of hours cleaning up the tracing by adjusting the vectors to get what I wanted. I did that during my lunch breaks at work.

My grand daughter spent the weekend last week. She is 7 and wants to be an engineer and to design a robot. She got interested in robot wars. So, I told her that there is a LOT to learn and it will take years but I will show her how to design and build a robot. I use snap circuits with her and teach her all the electronic symbols.

I used this little project with her to show her the CAD design software and how CAM create a CNC program.

Together we loaded a 4x8x1/4 sheet of PVC on the CNC machine. I showed her about 1/6 end mill and how to set the X-Y-X zero position. I also taught her about the axis motions and how the pendant works. I had her move the machine around. It was a BIG day of learning for her. Stuff that is useful and practical stuff for her life.

We made the Corbels, then resawed the oak. She got sidetracked with Memere in the kitcken and I finished from there.

It was a cool day. Today she will get her shelf and I will install it in her room.

Corbel 4 Shelf-1.jpgCorbel 4 Shelf-2.jpg