name plate material

The school is wanting to recognize students who have made gains on their ACT with a "wall of fame" sort of thing. For example if you take the ACT and then take it again and go up 3 points your in the +3 "club". The categories are +3, +5, 30+ (36 is the max score) and Benchmarks if you make your state set benchmarks. The principal ask if I could have my kids design and build some sort of board with these categories and put kids names on them. I was thinking something like two color HDPE for the categories, names and such. However, I have no idea where to get it. Any ideas or suppliers?

Any other suggestions for materials would also be appreciated. I'm just in the planning stage and would like to be able to give the kids choices about materials. Then let them research the pros and cons of each. Is there a standard size for name plates?

For reference this will be hanging near the front lobby and probably be fairly large. He wants it to be a permanent sort of thing. A kid will have a chance to be on more than one of the categories.

Thanks! And I hope my convoluted rambling makes sense!

Last edited:
Here's the way I did what you're describing a while back.

WenDav_a.jpgJenSteph_a.jpg

In each case, I applied a piece of veneer (1/40") to solid wood (walnut or cherry) and carved through the veneer with my CNC.