My Homemade Beef Enchiladas

Dave Hoskins

This is not by any means an exact measurement recipe. Carol asked me to do the best I could and you all would go from there, so here it is"

2-3 lbs. chipped beef (round or whatever cut up into small chips)
1-2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp cumin
sorta 1/2 palm full of diced cilantro
sorta 1/4 cup diced garlic
decent sized red onion diced
2-3 cups tomato sauce for meat moisture
grated cheddar and jack cheese (or whatever kind you want)

After cooking down beef and draining it, start adding the goodies starting with the tomato sauce to keep it moist. As needed add more tomato sauce and if your taste buds want it add some Worcestershire Sauce. Cook it down until it feels right for rolling in the tortillas. Sometimes I use corn and other times flour. Your choice. I make sure there is some meat filling left over and add more tomato sauce to it to make it a topping sauce. After it is ready and you have the enchiladas rolled up and in backing dish add the topping sauce and bake at 400 until they look good and ready. Maybe 20 minutes. Then add cheese and put in oven long enough to melt it real good and maybe make it a little brown (my preference) which takes about 7 minutes. Here ya go. Hope it helps. I've always been taught to cook by taste and what looks good as to following an exact recipe.

I didn't take it as a threat, Carol! Hope that helped you some. I've never heard any complaints about them. Yet. But like I said I just do things by taste. Some folks want them spicier and if they do add some chili powder. I go more for the cilantro, garlic and onion flavor.

Thanks, Dave. I like cilantro, onions and garlic also. Might try a pinch of chili powder though. My grandmother tried to teach me to cook and never was big on exact measurements. She was pinch here, a bit there, and taste as she went type of cooks. Darn good one, too. Alas, cooking for one person (plus a small freezer occasionally) can be a challenge. Don;tlikee to cook meat dishes for the freezer until they have passed my taste test. Too expensive!

I forgot that while cooking up the meat and seasonings that I also cook in a can of Rotel. I use the mild, but use which one you want. Also I usually (if I remember to get them) put a layer of black olives sliced under the topping of cheese before melting it.