PSI Revolver Pens

Steve Kniffen

Penn State has come out with another novelty pen, the revolver. I saw the video of it on their site and decided I needed to get a few of those, but as with most new items in the catalog or online, they weren't in stock yet. As soon as they arrived, I ordered them. If you're not familiar with them, you push the button on top to extend the tip. When you do, the cylinder near the midpoint of the pen turns like a revolver cylinder does. To retract the tip, pull the "trigger" that's the clip. The only turning done is on the lower barrel. It's fun and every guy I've showed it to has loved it. I bought the intro kit with one of each plating and here they are:

Revolver01.jpg

From left to right they are chrome/Brazilian cherry, gunmetal/walnut, antique brass/thuya burl, and antique pewter/mesquite.

Steve

Nice looking timbers.

I'm going to wait before I jump on the band wagon.
Its too bad the bullet nib is an APC not a revolver cartridge.
From what I have seen on a few other pen turning sites there are some quality control issues starting to show up.

Les

Les,

The kits I received had a set of "revised" instructions attached to the invoice. The only real change to the original instructions was to screw the plunger onto the back end assembly and press against that to press the wooden barrel into place. That sounded counter-productive to me, but I did it and everything worked fine. I'm assuming that was the quality control problem. I looked on PSI's site and didn't see any customer ratings. They may not publish any negatives, though. Following the instructions as modified made things work, though.

I agree with you on the cartridge type. My brother is more of a gun guy than I am and that was the first thing he noticed. I may do some measuring and see if I can modify this kit some to use one of his 45 Long Colt cartridges and projectiles in the next ones I make.

Jonathan, if you don't have the Revised instructions for your kits, you will want to look online and download them.

Steve