Friday and colder then a

Reno has also called a state of emergency. They expect the Truckee river (the Lake Tahoe outlet) to flood. We got about 8 inches of snow (and down to -3 the other night) and now the Pineapple Express is expected to hit later today and will be mostly rain. We'll have to be on the watch for erosion and rivulets down our driveway. Predicted 100% for three days.

http://kunr.org/post/reno-sparks-washoe-all-declare-state-emergency#stream/0

One question for you snow folks. How does snow defy gravity? :huh: There's 2.5 feet of snow hanging off the roof. I understand the icicles, but the snow thing is confusing.

Snow.jpg

A few years before we moved here, the Reno area got 8 feet of snow in a couple of days (feet, not inches). How do you open your door when that happens? Or I guess you just don't :eek:

A few years before we moved here, the Reno area got 8 feet of snow in a couple of days (feet, not inches). How do you open your door when that happens? Or I guess you just don't :eek:

Doors in snow country open in, doors in bear country open out. If you have both bears and snow you have problems. :eek::rofl:

Doors in snow country open in, doors in bear country open out. If you have both bears and snow you have problems. :eek::rofl:

Ah, explains how all of our doors open in (of course would allow a ton of snow to fall in :rofl:). Tahoe folks would have a problem because they have both snow and bears. We get by with horses, coyotes, deer, antelope and lots of cottontails, but they don't seem to want indoors

Ten inches and still falling. I threw this emergency bird feeder together because most of the others were iced up. The garden shelters are holding up nicely.
2016_073.jpg2016_068.jpg

Ten inches and still falling. I threw this emergency bird feeder together because most of the others were iced up. The garden shelters are holding up nicely.
View attachment 98142View attachment 98143

Good idea. That'll do the job.

That weather's moving up along the eastern seaboard, so the forecast is for 30-35 cm overnight and into tomorrow. We were heading over to the Fundy shore for a house party with some friends tonight, but there's talk of postponing. Wimps! But, it's a side road off another side road, so maybe they just don't want us all stranded there!

Well, where I grew up the outside door opened in and the second inside door past the short hall opened out. I guess that explains the mystery!!

Interestingly I don't remember really seeing many houses with entry halls (aka airlocks) like that in the lower 48... hmm..

Well, where I grew up the outside door opened in and the second inside door past the short hall opened out. I guess that explains the mystery!!

Interestingly I don't remember really seeing many houses with entry halls (aka airlocks) like that in the lower 48... hmm..

Ah, explains how all of our doors open in (of course would allow a ton of snow to fall in :rofl:). Tahoe folks would have a problem because they have both snow and bears. We get by with horses, coyotes, deer, antelope and lots of cottontails, but they don't seem to want indoors

That's what I heard. Doors opening in means a snowdrift wont barricade your door and prevent you from getting out. Doors opening out have the entire frame rather than just the lockset to brace them from the onslaught from a heavy beast who will obviously try to push the door in (lacking opposing thumbs :D).

Some years ago, I visited a guest ranch up in the Sierras some miles away from Yosemite... they had bears... the main cook cabin had 1/2" steel plates on barn slides for doors to cover the regular doors... I think they were a mere annoyance to the bears... on two of my trips, bears had come into the kitchen and had their winter meals.

Screen (glass door opens out the Door opens in, I'm so confused LOL

11 Deg's this morning, the 68 Bug love's the cold. Reminds me of how my other air cooled engine runs. Only two problems, one getting in and getting out and the HEATER ! LOL

It was 5* this morning and a fresh coat of about 12" of snow.

I am getting older so I need to take breaks. I "could" just do it, but, I don't want to take chances.
I am mostly done at 12:30, but another 1/2 hour later to finish it off.

Now for some shop time on my pet gate.

4° this morning. 16° and snowing hard right now. About 2" down, and who knows how much more to come. Wasn't supposed to snow until Tuesday. Shows how much they really know, eh?