Concrete Countertops?

Bill Arnold

Staff member
My daughter and her fiance are framing the interior of a building on acreage they bought. They asked me about building cabinets for them and I agreed to do so, although we're 1,000 miles apart. Logistics will be their problem, but we'll deal with that. I'm sure I can build whatever they decide for cabinetry, but they want to pour concrete countertops on them. What, if anything, do I need to consider to be sure the cabinets support the weight?

I worked part time with a cabinet maker and we never did anything special for concrete counter tops - good cabinets (ply or solid wood) are more than strong enough. We had the opportunity to watch one guy make his counters. It sure looked like a fun project but it was also a lot of work. We arrived that morning 8 and after some minor work (1 hour) we were finished and he began and was still working on it when we left at 5. It was complete counters for the whole kitchen about 18' in four different sections plus an island 4x4. We only had a minute or so the next morning to look at it - impressive, but I have always wanted to try it myself. All I can say is read everything you can on the subject and be real organized. Also get some help - he had 2 people to help him.