Selecting the Right Nova Jaws for Longworth Chuck

Mike Turner

I just purchased a Longworth chuck for my Jet 1642..The disk on the back of it is 3". The 2 sets of chuck jaws I have for my Nova G3 and Nova Sn2 are max 2 1/2" and the other the minimum is 3".. I need to tighten down to 3". Hmmmmm which jaws do I need?
It wouldnt make any difference if I switched the 2 1/2" from the G3 and put it on the Sn2 would it?

Last edited:
...It wouldnt make any difference if I switched the 2 1/2" from the G3 and put it on the Sn2 would it?

I don't have my chucks handy (I have a G3 and SN2), but as I recall, you won't gain any diameter by switching chucks.

Have you tried the 3" jaws?

I did.They are just a little too big....just a tad....

Bummer. Is there a way to mount the chuck backward between centers and turn the disk down a little so it'll fit in your smaller jaws? It's either that or find another set of jaws. You could try making a shim out of something like PVC pipe, but I wouldn't trust it to hold securely.

When I had a Longworth chuck I made it myself, and used a faceplate to mount it on the lathe. It'd be tough to get a faceplate exactly centered on an existing chuck, though.

Ill probably end up getting another set of jaws.The guy I bought it from offered to swap it out for one of the ones he uses on his smaller ones he makes if I wanted to.

I got the 70mm and it wont quite open up enough.....if it would open up just a 1/32 more it would work.This hasnt been a pressing issue ..sort of on back burner.Tomorrow Ill look at another idea I have.Ill let you know what i come up with!

Well I was hoping to attach the longworth chuck onto a small faceplate..hoping holes would match up ..May have to go to machine shop...

I finally got to finish this one up.I turned a piece of wood between centers to get it to size so I could hold it in my chuck. (It was oversize for now.I left plenty to turn it down to size and true it up) Then put the wood into the chuck with the aluminum disk mounted to it. I turned it..... the aluminum disk... to size so it would fit the chuck. I then put it back together and it appears to be good to go....With it together. The longworth chuck seems to have a slight bit of runout...just a slight wobble.. but I think it would be about the same if I had gone to a machine shop....I will be using it at low speeds to clean up the bottom of bowls so it wont be a problem...

I hope all that works out for you, Mike. I looked at those Longworth chucks and honestly decided against them. I prefer and use two different sizes of Cole Jaws and have zero problems. Well, that's not totally honest. I do have a problem with the 8" jaws but it's actually the chuck they are on, not the jaws. Got the chuck from Penn State and it's a piece of junk, but I have been putting up with it. Shakes, rattles, but at least it doesn't roll. First chance I remember to I'm replacing that danged chuck. I use the 16" set more often and it's mounted on a good chuck so no problems. Anyway, good luck with your venture and hope it works well.