Foodsaver vacuum packing ....anyone

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Looking for anyone here that can comment on the performance of this version of foodsaver machine.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61-VQUwVT+L._SY355_.jpg

We have the old model clamshell and suck type and frankly it sucks and i am past being patient with it.

Saw this one at Costco and wondered if its any better. It "appears" as though its now a push bag in and go operation but i dunno once bitten and all that.

So any experience with this unit or referrals to other affordable makes of same type of thing.

In reality i am ready to go industrial to get something that works.

We've been using them for years. Been through about three, maybe four different machines. The current one is about four/five years old, and it's a "push-thru" as you called it. It works very well - as long as the open end of the bag is cut off cleanly. A ragged edge makes it harder to trigger the mechanism. Mida is quite frugal with the bag materials, and often re-uses a bag several times - hence the sometimes ragged edged bags.

Other than that, it's a great machine, and we use it a lot. Ours is an earlier model of the one you referenced, but seems pretty much the same, mechanically.

Well if you're reading to go industrial...

One of the vacuum chamber type systems has been... tempting.. for a long time; something like this (not a recommendation for a specific product.. I haven't spent weeks analyzing the current offerings like i normally do.. :rofl:)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/VacMaster-VP-C-Chamber-Vacuum-Sealer/1192134.uts

I've heard decent reviews of the cabellas foodsaver type systems in that they're supposed to suck harder (although its been a few years since I really looked close so they might have changed).

I have two of the clampshell ones and have kept them limping along with a bit of cleaning and fixing as needed. Having it setup so that you can line up the bag without to much juggling helps.

I use one about every time I smoke meat, but mine has gotten to where it doesn't trigger the switch automatically. Luckily it's got a button to seal on demand, so just use that when it looks ready. I know Brent has a different brand one, which he liked, so maybe he'll chime in.

It's big, It's heavy. It's stainless steel and solidly built.

View attachment 98265

I got one of these for Christmas. It works. The instructions say to let it rest 20 seconds between bags. The instructions don't say let it rest for 20 minutes after every 3 bags. I am not ready to dump it, but I sure wish I had gotten a better one.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealing-System-Starter/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=sr_1_1

Yeh, all depending on how much you vacuum (we do a lot), by the time you wear out two or three units, you may as well have gotten a good one. Our latest one has lasted a real long time with no sign of giving out. Plus it's so heavy, it's my upper arm workout :rofl:

We have a Foodsaver GameSaver Bronze, purchased several years ago, that is still chugging along and doing a good job on dry foods and meats. Recently however, anything with the slightest bit of moisture in/on it has been giving it troubles....blanched string beans dried between towels still had enough moisture in them to prevent a good seal. Never did that before. I'm seriously thinking about paying up $$ for one of the chamber systems.

We have a Foodsaver GameSaver Bronze, purchased several years ago, that is still chugging along and doing a good job on dry foods and meats. Recently however, anything with the slightest bit of moisture in/on it has been giving it troubles....blanched string beans dried between towels still had enough moisture in them to prevent a good seal. Never did that before. I'm seriously thinking about paying up $$ for one of the chamber systems.

Yeah trying to do slightly wet stuff is how we "wrecked" our first one (I was able to rebuild but not before loml replaced). If I was doing more wet packing a chamber system really looks like the way to go. They are scarily expensive though.

The one I have was garage sale picked and their basic model. I think it cost $5 with a bunch of bags and such. When it stopped working, I found out that what it did, means it needs new gaskets, which will cost around the $5 the machine cost. I figure I will give that a shot before buying a more expensive machine.