Unexpected Gloat

Brett Luna

I dropped in to see my local wood monger last week in search of some sandpaper. While I was waiting to check out, I overheard a customer picking up a new bandsaw...the very model I wanted. When it was my turn, I joked with the clerk about loading it up in my vehicle. He told me if I was serious that now was the time to get one because the manufacturer was going to start charging freight with their next order. I hadn't planned to buy until maybe this fall but what does Brett do? He goes home, hammers on the budget a bit, sweet talks The Wife®, then plonks a stack on a new Laguna 14|12 bandsaw.

I picked it up yesterday afternoon on the way home from work. Since it was just me and The Wife® at the house...and the animals are useless for heavy lifting...I unpacked as much as I could while the box was still in the truck bed...in the driveway...where it was dark...and -12°F (-24°C). With that done, I partially backed into the garage where we could tip it off the bed and onto a low, wheeled finishing bench I had made for another project. Fortunately, the saw was about 100 pounds lighter than the 375 lbs guesstimated by the salesperson, so it wasn't quite the gut-busting chore we anticipated.

Assembly is on hold until my mobile base kit arrives from Woodcraft. Woohoo!

I love those little impulse buys that happen when you're waiting in line at the cash register, lol. :D

Congrats on a fine addition to your shop. :thumb:

I've had the Laguna 16" saw for about fifteen years now, and am still lovin' it. Hopefully yours will be equally good to you.

BTW, the Laguna "Resaw King" blade is really great. A good, but slightly cheaper, alternative is the Lenox Tri-Master. I can resaw 1/16" veneers off a 12" wide board with either of those blades, and they only need a quick trip thru the drum sander to be ready for use. Great blades!

Thanks, everyone!

BTW, the Laguna "Resaw King" blade is really great. A good, but slightly cheaper, alternative is the Lenox Tri-Master. I can resaw 1/16" veneers off a 12" wide board with either of those blades, and they only need a quick trip thru the drum sander to be ready for use. Great blades!

I appreciate the recommendation, Jim. I ordered a Timber Wolf ½" x 3TPI blade to get started and figure out what I want/need/like. I was really interested in the Resaw King but they don't offer a 115" flavor and according to the manual, the sizes up and down from that won't work. So, I've been looking at the Lenox blades, too.

ETA: Weird. The Laguna site shows no 115" available...but Rockler does. Hmmm.

Last edited:
And in other news...

With all the bandsaw excitement, I nearly forgot that I'd ordered a Kreg router table about a week ago and it was delivered yesterday. Waiting on some minor items to complete that, too.

...I appreciate the recommendation, Jim. I ordered a Timber Wolf ½" x 3TPI blade to get started and figure out what I want/need/like. I was really interested in the Resaw King but they don't offer a 115" flavor...

Call Laguna. They'll make the Resaw King in any length you want, in either ¾" or 1"

The Timberwolf blade is a good one, but won't last nearly so long as the Laguna or Lenox carbide tipped blades. The carbides are definitely expensive, but I've found them worthwhile.