winter working land, not for the faint of heart

allen levine

it gets pretty cold out there some days. I don't have a real heating system, just some floor heaters that just about keep my fingers warm enough for the blood to circulate. Limited hours, limited time. Usually after noon, when its a bit warmer.
cant finish anything, and if I turn, I never leave anything out there, so finish and glues are brought out daily.

Its not an ideal working environment, get a lot of sore muscles, backaches, but sitting around doing nothing isn't an option for me. especially after I get my lunchtime does of coffee:D

since November, Ive managed to cut up 6 Adirondack chairs, one baby chair, assemble 4 of them, shipped, and the baby chair, shipped, 2 chairs not assembled for me, later in april. All pressure treated pine
my future daughterinlaw, drew me some very impressive drawings of the night stands she wanted, similar to the ones I made my daughter, but she wanted drawers. Im finished with them, but I cant spray lacquer till warmer weather, so they just sit in my house waiting.tops and backs aren't attached.
I cant find her drawings, I must have tossed them when I was finished and cleaned up.
took another chunk of wood Jim gave me at Jons gathering, made another bowl, still applying poly after 3 coats of oil. the never ending project and its just a junkie bowl.
made 4 bottle stoppers, 2 are gone, (gifted with bottles of wine over the holidays, elen and me work as a team, she quilts bags for the wine and stopper) My relatives and friends keep asking us when we are moving to Lancaster and opening up a shop.
some pics of the winter work.
Im going to begin making some jigs this and next week, too many doctors appts, but whenever I get some warm hands.
next project is a small hello kitty trinket box, very unfancy, but Id lilke to make it cute enough for my little grand niece.

I had to stop working today, just couldn't feel my fingers, forget to turn the heaters on earlier.

elen finished a small quilt, shes getting much better at that stuff. Randi created a monster

Attachments

• winterprojects 010.jpg
    winterprojects 010.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 73
  • winterprojects 008.jpg
    winterprojects 008.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 73
  • winterprojects 006.jpg
    winterprojects 006.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 72
  • winterprojects 004.jpg
    winterprojects 004.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 72
Very nice work Allen (and Elen), especially under less than ideal conditions.:thumb:
Spring's coming, a bit sooner there than here.
I did woodworking in the unheated part of the barn for a few winters before we finished the shop. It got harder to get motivated to go out there in the dead of winter and work in my insulated coveralls.

Very nice work Allen (and Elen), especially under less than ideal conditions.:thumb:
Spring's coming, a bit sooner there than here.
I did woodworking in the unheated part of the barn for a few winters before we finished the shop. It got harder to get motivated to go out there in the dead of winter and work in my insulated coveralls.

that's what I tell elen, I lose motivation to go out into that ice cold work area.

that's what I tell elen, I lose motivation to go out into that ice cold work area.

I haven't seen your setup, so I don't know, but wouldn't a modest amount of insulating and tightening up yield big dividends in your comfort and enjoyment of your shop Allen, winter and summer? Maybe positive in adding a bit of resale value too?
I do remember a discussion we had back a year or two and you had some valid reasons for not tackling that upgrade at that time.

ted, I replaced the oil filled radiator type heater just this winter because it just take too long to offer any heat. If I forget to turn it on first thing in am, it wont make much difference. the oscillating floor heater I just purchased from HD fills the immediate space with warmth, and Im careful to make sure its not near any dust. Ive the overhead heater with the coils for years, never had a problem.
peter-I put sound insulation in all of the walls. Id love to seal up the overhead door, but I use it too much, and that's the source of a lot of cold air.
I have to just not work as much and take it easy in the winter, just been overly bored this year.
I don't need it toasty, if I get it up to 48-50 degrees Im fine to work.

Allen,
Just read through your post.... as I often tell my truck driver son when he complains about driving through the snow......

It could be worse..... it could be here in East Tennessee....:wave::wave::D:D

Got a new toy. Have to brave cold to try it out. Birthday brought a DW router into shop. Weather moderating a little to make some saw dust.
Allan those are some nice looking projects.
David

Kudos on the nice work by both you and Elen! If it's any consolation, you've made more in the past month than I've made in the past few years. ;)

if IM not turning when I have no flat work, Im scrounging through the scraps bin trying to think up short projects, 2, 3 4 hour projects.

I came up with this tiny box for one of the little girls. Im currently working on a larger one for jewelry with a pull out drawer.

I really need to get busy on something.

I wont be able to get back in the garage for a few days, got the car and bbq in there to keep out of the blilzzard heading here tomorrow.

the pink wood is a damaged bottle stopper made from the laminated plywood blanks I purchase. I made two pieces out of them.

Attachments

• catbox 004.jpg
    catbox 004.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 23